Chapter 3

Eleanor

It has been about a week since Mike's class had sent out their letters to their pen pals. So far, no one as received any letters back. Mike would arrive to class everyday hoping that there would be letters, but he would be disappointed to not see any on Mr. Clarke's desk. Until now.

It was a chilly Wednesday in Hawkins, considering the fall would soon be turning into the winter. The party had walked into their science class they all had together. Mike looked at the teachers desk to see if any letters arrived. No letters were anywhere to be found. Mike sighed and sat down at his desk, waiting for class to begin.

"Class, today is a very good day because... drumroll Dustin." Mr. Clarke said as he pointed to Dustin, who quickly started hitting his book making a 'drumroll'. Mr. Clarke smiled as he went in his desk and pulled out a stack of letters. "Because we have received some letters for you guys."

For some odd reason, that got the class excited. Apparently, Mike wasn't the only one wanting a response.

Mr. Clarke went around the room, handing out the letters to whoever's name was on the front. Mike had gotten really excited when he saw Mr. Clarke drop an envelope on his desk. He looked at the front of the envelope where he saw in nice, neat handwriting his name was printed. He quickly opened up the letter.

Dear Mike,

My name is Eleanor. Let me start off by saying those were some pretty good ice breakers. I'm definitely going to have to remember those whenever my dad brings work friends over, due to me being a terrible speaker. Okay, I'll start answering your questions now. Sorry for my rambling.

Let's see... ahh yes, hobbies! I enjoy reading, writing, and drawing. So your lucky you got me as a pen pal, because I like to write a lot. If you thought you were boring me, just wait. It might end up me boring you. Sorry in advance.

If I could describe myself in three words it would be quiet, artistic, and kind. But with a little bit of sarcasm here and there. Sorry, that was more like three words and one sentence.

The movie of my life would probably be... a silent film. Mostly because I never speak to anyone other than my father. You're lucky you got a response back. I really went on the edge to write this for you. To be honest with you, I can't even see your face but I'm nervous talking, no, writing to you. I know it's weird, but I can be really awkward when I'm talking to people.

My favorite thing about my dad is his bravery. He's a cop and we live in Chicago, so there's a lot of crime in the area. He puts himself in danger everyday to help others. He's brave and I want to be that brave. But then again, I'm getting nervous writing a letter, and I'm technically talking to paper. So I don't think I will have his bravery anytime soon.

Well, there's your answers to your ice breakers. I would ask you some but I don't have any, that's why I'm trying to remember yours. But you're probably wanting me to ask you a few questions, so here are a few over asked questions.

What's your favorite color? What's your favorite food? What's your favorite movie?

Tell me what your friends and family are like. I'm genuinely curious.

I'll put my address on the back of the paper so we don't have to keep on receiving our letters through the school.

Hope to get your letter soon!

Your pen pal,
Eleanor

Mike turned the paper over to see the address and smiled to himself. He knew he was going to write her back, she seemed funny and nice. He couldn't wait to get to know her.

***

"I can't believe they didn't write back." Dustin complained. He and Lucas were the only ones in the party that didn't receive a letter.

"You must have scared them off by being weird." Max said. On her skateboard, they were heading to Mike's house to hang out.

"I didn't say anything weird though." Dustin stated. "I told the about how I didn't have any collarbones and-"

"That is why they didn't respond to you. What about you, Mike? Get anybody interesting?"

"Her name is Eleanor." Mike smiled. "She seems nice, quiet for sure. She and Will might get along she likes drawing too. I going to keep writing to her, just to see what happens. What about you guys?"

The group responded with mumbles.

"I'll take that as a maybe." Mike sighed.