Chapter 28

"That's my girl!"

I smiled up at my dad as he looked at my certificate beaming. I had won best student in my entire class for the Academic Year; I had worked endlessly all year, but it was worth it seeing how proud my father was of me.

"Wow, even a 97 percent overall average!" my dad said as he took a picture of my certificate on his phone, smiling all the while. He reached over and embraced me in a hug. My heart melted, and I smiled into his chest, "you continue to make me so proud".

I was sitting in my room playing on the iPod my dad had gotten for me. It felt smooth in my hands and I loved the pink color; it was so sleek. I smiled to myself. I began browsing the internet on my iPod when suddenly an ad popped up. It was a woman in her underwear. She was smiling. I stared at her, my eyes lingering at her breasts. Suddenly I heard footsteps outside my room door and I quickly switched my iPod off, hiding it under my pillow as my room door flew open.

My mum was standing there with a bowl of soup in her hand, "let me see your certificate."

I reached over and got my certificate from my bedside table before handing it over to her. She was silent for a while before she spoke, "you got a 97 percent average, why couldn't you get a 100 percent."

I blinked a little confused, "I mean, 97 is still really good considering, plus I was still the highest in my whole year-"

"That's not good enough."

I sat there blinking as I felt my throat close in and my eyes begin to sting. I blinked rapidly.

My mum rose up suddenly and the bowl of soup she was holding spilled all over my certificate, going on to spill all over the floor.

"Oh," my mum said, her voice devoid of any emotion, "that was my mistake. Hurry up and mop this up before the soup soaks into the floor. Make sure to use bleach."

I watched as she walked out of the room. I reached over and picked up my certificate that was lying wet on the floor. The ink had spawned everywhere, and it was now just a huge mess. I felt my eyes sting even more and my vision became blurry.

"Muna."

Miss Rose was sitting in front of me with a smile on her face. The smile grew wider and wider till it was no longer a smile, but something sinister. Slowly and surely I watched as her face morphed into my mother's.

Then I screamed.

Our flight was delayed 30 minutes before they finally announced boarding.

I had asked that Miss Rose come to Philadelphia with me, I couldn't bear going alone. She instantly agreed before buying us two first-class tickets.

I rested my head against Miss Rose's shoulder as the plane began to speed down the runway. I was so thankful she was here with me and my heart had not stopped beating anxiously in my chest just knowing that I was going to see my father for the first time in years tomorrow. Miss Rose easily sensed my restless, and she used her thumb to rub my hand soothingly whilst she held it.

"Were you able to get some rest last night?" Miss Rose asked as she wrapped her arms against me.

"Not really." I replied thinking of the nightmare I had last night, I tried to shake it away and instead buried my face into Miss Rose's chest.

Miss Rose's arms around me held me even tighter, "don't worry, baby. You're safe. I'm here."

I found myself wondering what I ever did to deserve Miss Rose as I took in her scent. I truly felt safe in her arms, and I slowly closed my eyes as I dozed off.

"Hey, baby."

I opened my eyes slowly.

"We're here." Miss Rose whispered into my hair.

I sat up straight in my seat and looked out of the plane window. We had landed in Philadelphia Airport; I had been in such a deep sleep that I had not even felt it when the plane touched down on the runway.

Miss Rose reached over and placed her hand against the side of my face as she smiled softly at me.

"Did you sleep well?"

I nodded my head. This was the best sleep I had gotten these past few days.

"Good." Miss Rose said as she reached over and kissed me softly, "come on, lets go."

We left the airplane and entered the main airport. It was especially busy today, and I clung unto Miss Rose's hand as we made our way through the crowd of people. Once we got outside Miss Rose called a taxi, which drove us to our airport.

I felt extremely nervous. I knew that every second that passed; I was getting closer to when I'd see my father again. I tried not to think about it.

"Stop worrying," Miss Rose suddenly said as she kissed the side of my head, "everything will work out."

It was amazing how she seemed to know what I was feeling. I smiled up at her and she bent down, kissing me softly.

We finally arrived at the hotel room. It was a plain, simple hotel room with brown patterned wallpaper and a carpeted floor. At the centre of the room lay a King sized bed.

"I'm going to order us food. Go take a shower." Miss Rose said as she reached for the hotel room telephone.

I nodded at her and headed towards the bathroom. I took a hot shower; it helped ease the tension that I was feeling and calmed me to some degree. By the time I came out of the bathroom the food had arrived, it was fries and burgers. I could tell Miss Rose knew I just needed time to think, time to be in my head, so we ate in a comfortable silence.

After dinner I brushed my teeth and as I got into bed, I could hear Miss Rose turn the shower on in the bathroom. My eyes grew heavy as I listened to the steady stream of water. Tomorrow was going to be a long day, and I needed all the sleep I could get.