Chapter Fifty-Four | The New Spanish Prince

Final Chapter

     "So...do I need to address you as 'Your Highness' from now on?" Darrel inquired.
      "Not yet," JF shrugged, as he continued packing his cases. "Nothing is official until I return to Spain and Uncle Manuel...names me as his successor."
      Darrel nodded and walked over to the closet to make sure JF remembered to take everything. The past few weeks were difficult for everyone at Buckingham Palace. Sebastian received a few more heated letters from his parents. On top of which, Queen Sofía sent a threatening note to Darrel. In return, Sebastian warned his parents that he would leak his abdication to the papers. That letter ended all correspondences within the family. When Sebastian broke the news to the British Royal Family, it did not go over very well. Queen Mary of Teck almost fainted while King George V locked himself in his study with a bottle of bourbon. Meanwhile, David attempted to talk Darrel out of her engagement, but failed. Since then, tensions were high and everyone kept to themselves.
      "That's everything," JF announced as he closed his suitcase. "I'll ask the guards to help me bring the cases downstairs."
      "How many are you bringing?" Darrel asked.
      "How many cases? I didn't count."
      "No, I meant bodyguards."
      "The five that came with us."
      "You're bringing all five guards back?" Darrel exclaimed. "What about Sebastian? Some should stay here for him."
      JF let out a heavy sigh, "I already talked to my uncle about that. Since he won't be the prince...or have a title; he's not entitled to any protection."
      "He isn't going to calm down any time soon, will he?"
      "I doubt that he will forgive Sebastian in this lifetime."
      "You don't mean that."
      "I'm afraid I do."
      JF bit his bottom lip, then busied himself with stacking cases on top of each other. Darrel got up and walked over to him.
      "I'm sorry," Darrel sighed.
      "For what?" JF replied.
      "This is my fault. You don't have to pretend to like me."
      "I am not pretending."
      "I know that you care about Sebastian. Then I came into his life, and now he's abdicated, banned from his country and has no title."
      "Darrel, this is not your fault. Sebastian chose you, even though he knew the consequences. If anything, you encouraged him to become the King of Spain."
      Not knowing how to respond, Darrel walked around the room to make sure JF packed everything. Although she'd already checked, and knew that he had all his belongings.
      "Can I ask you for a favour?" JF requested.
      "Yes, of course," Darrel nodded, turning back to him.
      "I care about Sebastian, and while I may not understand his decisions, I support him because I want him to be happy. So...since I will no longer be in his life, can you look out for him?"
      "JF, he's my fiancé. I want what's best for him."
      "I know that. But I've always been there for him; no matter what time it was. Whether he needed a drink, wanted to talk or sit in silence, I was there. He's never trusted anyone else in his life except for me...and you. So now I need you to be there for him, like I was over these years."
      "I would do anything for him," Darrel assured.
      "Thank you," JF smiled.
      JF walked into the hallway and called for his guards. He gave them orders in Spanish to take all his cases downstairs where his car waited to take him to the docks.
      "Well, I guess I'm off now," JF announced.
      "I'll get Sebastian," Darrel offered.
      "What for?"
      "Well, I'm sure he wants to say goodbye to you."
      "We already said goodbye last night. He didn't want to make a scene in front of everybody."
      "Are you sure you don't want to see him one last time? Who knows the next time you will see him," Darrel shrugged.
      "I'm sure," JF replied. "I...I can't overthink this situation."
      Darrel nodded in understanding. JF took his flask out of his pocket and handed it to the princess.
      "Give this to Sebastian," JF ordered.
      "Are you sure?" Darrel gasped, "You love this flask."
      "Which is why it is the perfect going-away gift. Besides, I will get a new one."
      JF grabbed a case in each hand and left the bedroom. Darrel looked down at the silver flask and finally saw what made it so special. It had the crest of the Spanish Royal Family engraved in it as well as the words: Don Juan Fernando Carlos. She took a deep breath to recompose herself then followed him outside with the last case.

      When Darrel reached the driveway, she found JF and David waiting by the cars.
      "I will miss you," David informed.
      "Thank you for putting up with me all these years," JF smirked.
      "Well, thank you for taking the blame for the fire."
      "Your parents must be happy that I'm leaving."
      "There's a ball tonight in celebration."
      JF laughed and shoved his friend in a playful manner. Darrel approached them, and handed the suitcase to the driver.
      "I need to go," JF announced. "My boat's leaving soon."
      "Take good care of yourself," David nodded, sticking his hand out.
      The two friends shook hands, then embraced. The Duke of York gave him a final nod then walked back into the Palace.
      "Goodbye JF," Darrel said. "I wish you luck."
      "The same to you...your highness," JF bowed.
      Darrel extended her hand. He kissed it then got into his car and drove off.

      Darrel entered Sebastian's bedroom to find him lying on the bed, staring up at the ceiling.
      "Did JF leave?" Sebastian inquired.
      "Yes," Darrel nodded, sitting down next to him.
      "I'll miss him."
      "I know you will. And I know this will be hard for you, but please remember that I am here for you. No matter what you need."
      Sebastian sat up and wrapped an arm around his fiancée, then placed a kiss on her head. Darrel handed him the flask.
      "JF wanted you to have it," Darrel informed.
      "He gave this to me?" Sebastian gasped. "It's his most prized possession."
      "I know. That's why he wanted you to have it."
      Sebastian gave her a weak smile as he willed himself not to cry. Sensing his sadness, Darrel wrapped him in a tight hug.
      "I love you Darrel," Sebastian announced.
      "I love you too," Darrel replied. "Everything's going to work out."
      "I know. I have you."
      Darrel smiled, then got to her feet.
      "I have to go to Downton," she announced. "Do you want to come with me?"
      "Not this time," Sebastian shrugged.
      "Do you want me to postpone my visit?"
      "No, you go. I want to be alone right now."
      "Alright. But call me if you want me to come back, or you can come to Downton anytime."
      "Thank you."
      Darrel leant in and kissed him. He pulled her closer and ran his hands through her hair. As they pulled apart they shared a sad smile.
      "Bye Seb," Darrel said, then walked out of the room.
      Once the door closed, Sebastian lay back down on his bed and dissolved into tears.

      A few hours later, Darrel got off the train at Downton, and found Tom waiting by the car. They embraced as the bodyguards gathered the bags.
      "How are you?" Tom asked.
      "I'm fine," Darrel nodded.
      "Is Sebastian still...abdicating?"
      "He is. JF left earlier today, and it will be official soon enough."
      "And the two of you are okay?"
      "We'll be fine."
      Once the cases were in the car, the guards climbed into the back and Darrel sat in the front next to her brother-in-law.
      "Now that Sebastian's staying in England, will we see less of you?" Tom inquired.
      "Of course not," Darrel replied. "Downton will always be my home."
      "I'm glad to hear that. Because it's not the same without you here."
      "Well, don't worry. I'll visit as often as I can."
      Tom smiled.
      "Can you believe all that's happened over the past few months?" Tom sighed.
      "Not at all," Darrel shrugged.
      "I know. You're engaged to the former Prince of Spain...and someday you'll be the Queen of England."
    "I don't need to think that far ahead. For now I'm the Princess of Wales, and I'm engaged to someone who I love."
      "Well, you will always be Darrel Crawley to me."
      "Princess Darrel Crawley," she corrected with a smirk.
      Tom laughed, and despite their usual seriousness, the guards joined in. There were many issues to figure out, but for now, Darrel was happy. She had the boy she always wanted, she had a family that loved her, and a new family who would keep her safe.
      Whatever was on the horizon for her, Princess Darrel Crawley was ready.