Ch. 18 - Past

Song: Saturday Nights by Khalid
Words: 2624
Published: July 3rd, 2020
Third Person POV
Harley

Sun shines through the window onto the couple since it was still open from yesterday morning. Rayna cuddled her face into Harley's chest to avoid the bright light, but once it reached a certain point, he couldn't ignore it anymore.

He groans and shields his eyes with his forearm. After a few moments to wake up and gather himself, he slowly pulls away from Rayna and gets out of bed. He stands up, stretches, and walks across the room to the bay window. He pulls the curtains closed and checks the clock.

6:52 A.M.

He debates on what he should do, but when his eyes land on Rayna, his beautiful little mate sleeping so peacefully, he knows that there really isn't any competition. He walks over to his side—the right side, closer to the door—and crawls back into bed. He pulls Rayna closer to him, and they're right back to cuddling.

Soon, he's back asleep.

*~*~*~*

Harley wakes up for a second time this morning slowly to a familiar yet odd feeling. Slowly, he figures out that Rayna is awake and tracing shapes on his skin. She starts on his chest, drawing through his shirt, then moving up to his neck and down his bicep. After a full five minutes, she makes it to his hand, intertwining her fingers with his and lifting his hand to kiss it.

He opens his eyes to see his mate looking down at their connected hands biting her cheek with a slight smile, like she was trying to hide her happiness.

He finds himself smiling uncontrollably, and he lets out a content sigh when she begins tracing her thumb over his hand. Surprised, she looks back up at him.

"Good morning, baby," he whispers in a gruff, morning voice. She blushes and looks away. Curious, he dives into her head.

'That's hot,' she thinks to herself regarding the sound of his voice.

"Morning," she mumbles, pulling their hands to her chest.

"What do you wanna do today?" Harley asks, drumming his fingers quickly on the back of her hand. She giggles softly and does the same back to him.

"I don't know . . ." Rayna whispers. "This is nice."

"Do you wanna just stay in bed all day? I don't think you've actually gotten a relaxing day since you got here, so you deserve it. You can eat in here and draw or do whatever you want," he suggests.

She pouts slightly. "What about you?"

"I'll be working in my office, like usual?" he says as if it's obvious.

Her big blue eyes look up at his hazel ones like puppy eyes.

"I want you to stay here with me," she mutters, squeezing his hand. Her tone was so soft and somewhat sad. He feels his heart break and gives her a kiss on the forehead.

"I guess you can do whatever you want in my office, or I can work from here today. Which would you prefer?"

"You. Here," she orders, her emotions showing. He doesn't entirely understand why she's acting like this, but all it makes him want to do is love her. When he thinks about it, it might be the mark.

"Okay, baby."

He takes his hand away from her, making her angry for a moment, but uses it to cup her face instead and kiss her on the lips for a few moments. Her tense body instantly relaxes and she responds tentatively to the kiss.