Chapter Forty-Three

Full Chapter Now Available. 

I spent the night in Aegis's arms. It was safe, for now. He hadn't spoken to me the rest of the night, but he also had refused to let me go. Aegis had been tense, and I had been moving along with whatever he wanted. I was expecting punishment, but it had never come. All he did was ensure that I never left his side. When Lilah arrived, the male had growled a warning to her, and she only stayed long enough to place cooked food down before leaving. After that, Aegis fed us both before he laid us down on a new pile of furs to sleep. I wasn't sure how I felt, but I had slept soundly.

Currently, my head was buried in his chest. Slowly I tried to back away, but a sleepy growl vibrated from him before he dragged me back.

"Sleep," Aegis grumbled his words before burying his head into my neck. I felt him inhaling my scent and growling after each whiff.

I knew what he was smelling, and suddenly the warm sensation that was spreading over me halted.

My brand.

"I can erase this for you." I felt teeth trail over my sin, and I shuddered.

How? Was it truly possible to rid me of my sins? Did I even deserve it?

Pulling his head back, I tried to avert my eyes from his. The blooming hope was all too dangerous. The guilt was all too real.

I had—

"Toby, you did not deserve this." A stern voice spoke to my thoughts, and my gaze snapped up to him.

Anger started to boil. How did he know what I did and didn't deserve it?

He didn't know anything about me.

I felt a growl work it's way up, and I tried to push away from the male.

"No!" I yelled at him when his arms didn't allow me to move. Snarling, I pushed him harder, and this time he released me. The confusion was written all over his face.

I was seething with anger as I stood over him.

He didn't know!

He couldn't possibly understand all of my wrongdoings.

"You do not stand!" I waved my arms around as I tried to collect the words I wanted to tell. "Deserved my brand, I killed her!" I screamed at him. Panting heavily, my eyes tore into his like daggers. He didn't know the damage I'd caused. My heart started to pound frantically as rage continued to build.

"I betrayed pack, killed her, didn't listen. I deserve!" Aegis was now standing watching me closely as I paced the cave, my heart now thundering in my chest and breath coming out in huffs, trying to explain to him that I deserved all of this. I earned my punishment.

"Toby," there was that voice again. His whispered call froze me in place. The smoothness of his voice and the gentle stream of his scent was all I needed to ground me. It was all I needed to help steady my heart and take control of my erratic breathing and thoughts. My head turned to the male as he advanced onto me. He didn't touch me, but he stayed close enough that all I had to do was lean forward and we would be flush against each other.

I could feel his body heat and didn't stop my eyes from moving the length of his body, my explosive anger at him diminishing as my gaze moved further down his body. I wanted to taste him.

I wanted to feel him, my wolf begged for a bite. Aegis was sculpted to perfection, his body mass giant compared to the other males I had come across. Even his manhood was impressive. My mouth watered, and suddenly a hand lifted my face until I was staring into his eyes. "I'm not opposed to your hunger, but you are not yet healthy enough."