Friend and Foe Part 1

Phil POV

Two days, that's how long it's been since the others went MIA in this world gone mad. While news reports did say that those House of Helixes freaks were more extensive than we realized. Police/paramedics managed to capture about 20 of them strung unconscious all across the city, with one of them dead from cardiac arrest. Yet we still couldn't find any concrete reports on our friends. Any free time we've had was spent tracking down any lead we could muster. At first, I thought we would do nothing but freak out like last time, but I think Chelsea's demeanor meant everything. Unlike before there was a palpable almost reckless resolve from her as she gave out the orders we so desperately needed. I would have to ask her the origin of this persona another time.

Though a part of me was still wondering how much good I was doing. Ever since the Crusader's appearance, Chelsea has put my suit through numerous overhauls, perfecting the grapple technology. But the wounds I got from the said battle weren't exactly fully healed yet; I would say I was about 85%. Still, though, it was quite a feeling, swinging through familiar skyscrapers while giving the middle finger to gravity in my new suit. The modified gas mask had now turned into an almost futuristic air tight helmet accompanied by red contacts and red-trimmed bracers that were shown on the outside of the already black bodysuit. I kept practicing my swinging into the early evening when all of us were ordered to regroup at the Trophy Case. Once we were all properly gathered, Chelsea showed what she found, and it was a sight that made our collective blood run cold.

???POV

To succeed in any goal you must first learn how to fail. After all, how else would one truly have an answer to every prayer? The beauty of my bestowed ability though is the fact that true failure was now never an option. In my thrall my disciples weren't living the doldrums of their everyday lives. All of that wasted time and effort was now 100% fixated on being the vessels for my voice. Limbo's death might've been a setback but it was inevitable. If he uses his powers too much his heart takes a toll and his body automatically sends all of the objects brought into Limbo forcefully into the real world. Combine that with my reserve troops and I would've never gotten the power I now have.

With my new soldiers in hand, I forced my servants to modify their clothes to fit their new creed while preparing a video that would make history. Once the camera started to record, a cheeky smile of mixed ambition and joy appeared as I made my stand.

"Attention good people of this new world, my name is Prophet. And before you ask about what my real name is, I will say here, and now it means nothing. Because as soon as that blessed golden light washed over me, I realized that everything I had known was dead. I knew the minute I discovered my gifts that Chelsea Danvers was no demon; she was a savior through and through. Because that wave chose me as it chose most of you, but it was because it knew that you were blessed and holy, that you were meant for greater things. And yet this past year, those Neandertals you call humans have done almost everything in their power to strip you of your gifts. To make you fall back to the predictable lives you've always lived, to cling to a time that is already long dead. The media has labeled us as monsters and radicals, but my House of Helixes has done nothing more than showing you the truth. The old world is dead and gone, and I promise you by this day tomorrow, Philadelphia will be the first city to be purged."

I then signaled my Champions to come out of the shadows and into my light as I carried my final piece.

"Your Champions feel the same way that I do and are fully willing to eviscerate every last ember of the old world with them. If your heroes can join on the path of the worthy, I must ask, why can't you?! For if you join us, the law, government, leaders, everything that used to define your old life will disappear! And I promise you that all the unworthy that still shackle to this day will meet and end as swift as Genesis itself."

On my signal, the feed ends and I almost fell down, the shock of my very own words still reverberating in my soul. As my followers quickly attended to me, I looked at my 3 shining lights and told them to get proper rest for the grueling battle ahead.

Phil POV

As soon as the video ended, our exhausted bodies were immediately filled up with rage and shock indescribable. After dozens of murderers, freaks, and thieves, it seemed we had finally seen the worst that this world had to offer.

"Wait, if they are under his control, that means," Maria paused as she was too shaken that she couldn't even finish.

"It means that all this time, this Prophet has been taking people and manipulating them for his gain," Ivan said in cold disgust.

"All under my name," Chelsea said in bitter self-loathing.

From there, a slew of hushed debate and concern stood us all until Chelsea started to gain her composure back to bark out these last few orders.

"Whoever this bastard is, however, he is controlling these people, one thing is clear. These guys are coming tomorrow, which means we need to be prepared when they do. Prophet already has our 3 strongest pieces, which means that each of us needs to be able to take them on and whoever they have. If the police get their hands on him or worse, our "friend," then they might as well be good as dead."

Sensing the rising tension, I decided to jump in.

"Chelsea's right, but remember we all know our strengths and weaknesses. If we are just a little bit more ruthless, I know we can win this. Once we're back to full strength, we can make sure this bastard pays for every life he's hurt. I promise you that," I say with pure determination.

The speech does its job as one by one; the team is left to rest and steel for what we're about to do. Once it was just Chelsea, and I dropped the act.

"Didn't you say you weren't cut out for this leader type of roll?" Chelsea said with a dry joke.

"That was before our people were on the line like this, plus you know I'm faking it. And I know you are too, what gives."

"Nothing much. Just realized that if I've got nothing to lose Phil, which also means I've got nothing to fear."

Perplexed and worried by the statement, I started to speak out.

"Chelsea if this about the Vacuum no one is blaming you for-"

"It's not about blame Phil; it's about fact, your life means more to this world than mine does right now. If you want to argue, then we can have this discussion later after the mission. I just want you to know that you don't have to be the only one calling the shots now. From here on out, it's going to be a two-way streak."

Realizing that I couldn't stop this, I instead relented. Out of relief or selfishness, I don't know. I started to leave and prepare for the battle ahead by saying these last choice words.

"Fine, we'll both fake it together. I just hope that we'll eventually make it when all this shit is said and done."

While I didn't get a clear response, I knew Chelsea's clattering fingers already gave it.

"I hope so too, " she said as we both tensed for the horrors yet to come.