Chapter 129

We all turned in our seats to look out of the window. Even I had jolted from my chair, in spite of the fact that I already knew what was going to happen.

There, sure enough, was Percy Weasley, striding across the snowy yard with the Minister of Magic, Rufus Scrimgeour, right by his side.

Before anyone could say a word, the back door opened and Percy walked inside wordlessly, the Minister following him right behind. A painful silence fell across the place as all eyes were fixed on the two newcomers.

But at last Percy said rather stiffly, "Merry Christmas, Mother."

"Oh, Percy!" said Mrs. Weasley, walking toward him and throwing herself into his arms.

"You must forgive this intrusion," said Rufus Scrimgeour, pausing by the doorway when Mrs. Weasley looked around at him, beaming and wiping her eyes. "Percy and I were in the vicinity — working, you know — and he couldn't resist dropping in and seeing you all."

But Percy showed no sign of wanting to greet any of the rest of the family. Mr. Weasley, Fred, and George were all staring at him, stony-faced, and you could easily cut the tension with a knife.

"Please, come in, sit down, Minister!" fluttered Mrs. Weasley, straightening her hat. "Have a little purkey, or some tooding... I mean —"

"No, no," said Scrimgeour. "I don't want to intrude, wouldn't be here at all if Percy hadn't wanted to see you all so badly..."

"Oh, Perce!" said Mrs. Weasley tearfully, reaching up to kiss him.

"Git," I muttered under my breath.

"... We've only looked in for five minutes, so I'll have a stroll around the yard while you catch up with Percy. No, no, I assure you I don't want to butt in!" said the Minister, waving an airy hand. "Well, if anybody cared to show me your charming garden... Ah, that young man's finished with his food, why doesn't he take a stroll with me?"

He pointed at Harry and immediately by those words, the atmosphere in the room changed for the worse as everybody looked between Scrimgeour and Harry.

I knew he obviously wasn't there so Percy could see his family, and from Harry's face I could tell that he wasn't fooled either.

But what he didn't know was that the Minister wanted to talk with him and convince him to help them out by telling the Wizarding community that the Ministry was doing a great job at controlling things.

As I already knew, their argument of course wasn't going to last long. But Harry, who was clueless, was still curious to know what he wanted.

"Yeah, all right," said Harry into the silence, making a move to stand up.

"Many others have finished with their plates already, in case you didn't notice, Minister," said Sirius grimly, standing up only to place a hand on Harry's shoulder. "Why don't you take them?"

"It's fine," Harry said quietly, giving him a reassuring look.

Sirius knew he couldn't protest any further, so he removed his hand from Harry, yet remained on the spot, glaring at the Minister.

"Fine," Harry added, as Mr. Weasley opened his mouth to speak.

"Wonderful!" said Scrimgeour, ignoring Sirius's deadly look and standing back to let Harry pass by and leave the house.

But even when they left, the deadly silence remained among us. While Mr. Weasley, Lupin, and Sirius were gazing outside to keep an eye on Harry, Ginny, Fred, and George were busy glaring at Percy.