Chapter Ten: I Lied

Pat was really acting sweet. He didn't even mention my weird disappearance yesterday, so I wondered what magic wand Mia waved to all the problems I thought I was going to have today. Although during the drive, Sasha was noticeably silent.

When we got to the school, he made the effort to go around the car before I could even take off my seatbelt so he can open my door for me. He even carried my bag and refused to give it back when I tried to get it from him.

All in all, he was acting just like when we dated for the first time.

It was hard to get angry with him because I could clearly see that he was trying his best.

"I'll see you girls third period," he grinned after walking us to our first classroom.

"Thanks," I muttered, plastering a grateful smile as he handed me back my things.

Really too sweet.

Before I could enter the room though, Sasha reached out and tugged on the sleeve of my jacket. Mia had her arms crossed and was eyeing her, as if she was ready to shut her up once she made one wrong move.

"Avery..." she trailed off, her eyes casted down to the floor, "I-I'm sorry."

Sasha had her annoying moments and sometimes probably didn't know when she pushed too much, but I knew that her heart was in the right place. She saw Pat, a guy who admitted straight on that he liked me, and he was a very nice guy. I think even I would want to hook my friend up with a good person.

Maybe in her head, she was doing a right thing. She just wanted me to end up with someone who was caring. In another life, one wherein I haven't experienced the future yet and saw just how tragic everything would go, I might have been completely onboard.

Besides, I was crushing hard on Pat in my past. Even when Sasha and Mia tried to convince me all the time that he liked me too, I kept denying it because I really thought that he was completely out my league.

It was just one event. All I did was switch seats with Sasha and everything else felt like a new experience.

"It's okay," I reassured, reaching out to squeeze her hand, "I know you meant well but next time, if I say that I'm not interested in a guy, don't push it."

I never intended to be angry with her for too long.

Besides, she and Mia saved me so much.

"No!" I screeched, my mind going into pull panic mode. I could hear the loud music blaring faintly in the background but my ears were starting to ring. We were away from the rest of the crowd, nobody was coming for me but I still yelled as loud as I can, "Somebody help me!"

He covered my mouth with one of his hands and lowered his face nearer to mine. I smelt the horrid odor of alcohol mixed with vomit. I wanted to throw up myself because of it.

The tears started flowing out of my eyes but this only seemed to egg him on. I have never felt more helpless than I was in this situation.

"Avery!" I heard a loud scream. I didn't fully know what happened next, all I could recall was that he was pulled away from me. Several other boys started beating him up and I found myself squeezed between Sasha and Mia, both of them shielding me from watching on.

I could still remember it all vividly.

"Avs, are you okay?" Mia asked, lifting her hands and held my face still so she could examine it, "You look like you've seen a ghost."

No, I just thought of a memory I desperately wanted to forget.

"Yes."

It was the only reply I could muster before I went inside the classroom, leaving them wondering. My heart was pounding hard in my chest and I had to take long and even breaths just to calm myself. The last thing I wanted was to have a full-blown panic attack in the middle of first period.