30. A Real Life Plot Hole

"Isn't it funny
 how day by day,

 nothing changes,
 but when you look back,
 everything

 is different."

~ C. S. Lewis

On the Wednesday afternoon that followed, Scarlett took her seat in a chair in the second row of the room where Ace was due to head the panel in ten minutes

She brushed off her surprise rendezvous with Terrence Burke, who thanked her for the insight she had given him on Ace's proposal. She brushed off how he had mentioned that tomorrow, she would get to see the light drain from Ace's face, as well. She removed from her mind that he was her actual employer and not Ace.

She emptied her mind of everything other than her ability to support Ace at that moment.

Ace entered the room with the other panelists and saw her seated near the stage, dressed in a red pantsuit, making it even harder to miss her in a crowd of people dressed in drab colours. He gave her a surprised smile. Scarlett returned that smile of hers that told him that everything in the world would be quite alright.

Slowly, the room filled with people and the panel began their discussion.

After a few minutes of introduction, Ace stood up and began his presentation.

Scarlett looked around as he was speaking and realized that he commanded the attention of the room so easily; everyone had stopped their conversations and was listening to him intently.

They listened to him with rapt attention, almost like they didn't know what else they could possibly be doing at that point in time.

The rest of the panel were all clearly older than Ace and probably had over a decade of experience on him, but even they looked at him with a sort of admiration at the intelligent manner with which he addressed the gathering.

Scarlett took down notes that interested her and make note of questions she wanted to ask.

When her eye caught the notes of the person next to her, she realized that Ace had not explained the intricacies of the topic of micro-markets well enough for everyone to understand the importance of the subject matter.

When Ace finally finished his presentation and opened the floor up for questions, despite the fact that she had seen his notes and gone over the things he would say with him, she stood up and asked him a question about micro-markets.

Ace stared at her for a moment, in his head, wondering why Scarlett was asking him a question, to which she knew the answer to. He then, realized that she only did it to ensure that he was able to reiterate and better explain the main point of his whole presentation.

Someone inside him swelled with gratitude and he smiled at her, before going on to explain the topic again. He realized that in doing so, he was able to reach more people in the audience.