Chapter 48: Rocket and Jilly

BE WARY OF THE POV. gabby's pov is a collectors item in this book, enjoy it

also feel free to check out the first 3 chapters of Greenie's story in AOS on my profile.

-rabid

***

GABBY

I'm pacing in front of Zak, arms crossed, legs probably over tired at this point. I'm thinking about August, worried, really. I don't know what to do for her, she loves him and the reason that she left is because he lied about his job, not something that affected, well, no.

"Zak, what do I do about this? I mean, I feel like it's not part of Steph's personality, you know, his job, but it's such a big thing to lie about and it feels like it would be alright if they got back together but something about it just feels so wrong." I look at him. He shrugs. "Really, all you're going to give me is a shrug?"

"Gabs," he shakes his head, "you do know I've known, right?"

"What?"

"I've known this whole time," he sighs, "it felt weird not telling you, but Jorgen said it was really important to this kid not to tell August."

"WHAT?" I wheel around to him. "But like, that's the biggest fucking news-"

He cuts me off. "Gabby, I love you, but this is Steph we're talking about, alright? Jorgen won't tell me what's happened to this kid, and I know August knows at this point, but the coaches know and all of this is a really big deal for him, okay?"

"What could've possibly happened to him!" I throw my arms up. "He's a pro athlete. Nothing touches those guys! Nothing happens to them! They're, they're, I don't know, they're just them! And why does it have to affect telling August his entire fucking career! It's not even a career, either, it's a fucking lifestyle with the way they play."

"Gabs," he runs a hand through his hair, "I know, I know, okay? Jorgen and the upper staff know what happened to him because when they traded him it was such a big deal they thought it was a good idea to inform the Wolves staff. I know it feels like a shitty thing to do and I know you've been all over the place with how you feel about it, but I'm telling you, he wouldn't have done it if he didn't need to."

"How could he possibly need to do something like that?"

Zak shrugs, a little exasperated. "If I met you yesterday," he pauses, "if I met you yesterday and I knew I'd be crazy about you. Just like Steph did. If that had happened, the last thing I would've told you, the very last, the absolute bottom of the list, would be the jail time." He offers. "I would've told you anything you might have wanted to know, I would've told you about my friends back in Chicago and I would've told you all the crazy shit that's happened to me, but I would have avoided the jail time like the goddamn plague."

"Why?"

He looks at me in disbelief. "Why? Gee, I don't know, most girls aren't into guys that have spent time in prison, they definitely don't like keeping them around, and I doubt you'd trust me if you met me yesterday and the first thing that you knew was that I was a convict at one point."

I think about it, staring at him. "Yeah, I mean, I guess that makes sense."

"Maybe hockey is Steph's jail. I mean, he loves it, but maybe that's the thing that ruins people's view of him."

I let out a groan and flop onto the couch next to him, frustrated and tired of thinking about it. "Why, though?"

Zak puts his fingers through my hair, brushing it back from my eyes. "Well, if people treat me different the second they find out about that bit, they probably do the same to Steph." he rubs his thumb across my cheek. "I'd assume people would suck up to him because he makes a ton of money and they think they could get free tickets. That's my best guess."