The Last Of A Few

Today was the third day of Elmer being in Brooklyn. That counts as a few, right? Tomorrow I'm gonna go find him.

Today went just the same as yesterday, Crutchie and I sell then talk about Anne, then go back to the Lodging House.

Right now, I'm sitting on the top bunk and petting Honeybelle. I'm not going to sell tomorrow. Around noon, I'm gonna go talk Elmer. If he'll let me, that is.

I jumped as Honeybelle attacked my hand. She fell asleep a moment after. I smiled and pulled out my book. I read for awhile then fell asleep.

In the morning, I jumped up and put on my usual attire. I figured that I'd do my laundry while I'm waiting for noon. So I changed into my old gray skirt and blue shirt. I then gathered the dress Medda gave me and my pairs of Newsie clothes, and went down to the laundry building.

There was a woman with brown hair and a man with ginger hair at the counter. They took my dirty clothes and told me that they'd be ready at around 11:30.

(A/n: I have no idea if there were laundry buildings in 1900. I'm just improvising, so if it sounds wrong, my apologies.)

So I went back to the Lodging House. It's around 8:00, so the boys were milling around.

I guess I can sell a little. I thought to myself. I went with them to the gate (not changing from my skirt and shirt) and had a look at the headline.

Ovens Burst And Catch Fire At Jacobi's Deli, Slight Casualties.

"I's hopin' Percy and Franny is okay." I muttered.

"And Mr. Jacobi." Smalls added from beside me. I nodded.

"Hey, Olive." Race called. "Why's ya wearin' a skirt?"

"I's doin' laundry." I shrugged.

"Makes sense." The boy stuck his cigar in his mouth. I rolled my eyes as Oscar and Morris opened the gate. Me and the boys flooded out and went to the pape stand. I bought 25 and went to sell near the laundry building.

About halfway through selling (at around 10:00), I saw three familiar faces.

"Harvey." I greeted the man as he and his two kids came up. He was holding his son, and his daughter was walking at his side.

"Olive." He smiled warmly, fishing a coin out of his pocket.

"Hi, Olive!" Clara squeaked, hugging my legs. I patted her head. "Where's your Elmer?"

"Away." I told her hesitantly. The baby Elmer was staring at me as his father traded dime for pape.

"Tell him I say hi!" She released my legs and they began to walk away.

"Nice seeing you." Harvey nodded towards me.

"You too." I told him, then they were gone.

When I finished selling papers, it was about time to pick up my clothes. I walked inside the laundry building, and the woman handed me the bundle. I passed her what I owed her and left. As soon as my clothes were folded up and put away, I began my trek to the Brooklyn Bridge.

When I was halfway there, a man approached me. I stopped walking.

"Hey, goil." He smiled.

"D'ya need somethin'?" I asked crossly.

"Ya don't need ta be short with me." He growled angrily. "I's want ta tell ya a secret."

"I don't wanna hear it." I told him, pushing past. He grabbed my arm.

"I didn't ask."

~Elmer's POV~

At around noon, I was almost done selling. Five papes left. I looked across the bridge and saw what looked to be Olive walking my way.

Nah. She wouldn't be done selling yet. And she don't wear skirts anymore.

A man stepped in front of the girlz and they exchanged a few words. She shoved past him and he grabbed her arm. She looked a mixture of fear and anger.

I'd betta help.

I shoved a paper into my selling bag and ran over to them. They were a little ways across the Bridge, by I managed to get there quickly. It was Olive! She was wearing her old clothes. Maybe she was doing laundry.

"What's goin' on here?" I asked, making my voice sound more dangerous.

"Nothin' of your concern." The man glared at me.

"It is my concern if you'd messin' with my friend." I held my hand out for Olive to take. I wasn't going to grab her like he did. She took it.

"Well it still ain't your concern." He held tighter onto Olive's arm.

"I's thinkin' it is." I put my hand on his  wrist and twisted it. Olive stumbled a little and the man yelped, letting go.

"You news boys is too full of yourselves." He accused, shoving his hand into my hair. Before he could do anything, Olive punched him in the face.

"You little–" He started.

"Finish that sentense." I crossed my arms.

"Ain't worth my time." The man grumbled, walked away quickly.

~Olive's POV~

Elmer had run up and gotten the man off of me. I got him off of Elmer. It was kind of a joint effort, I guess.

When the man was gone, I looked at Elmer. He was looking over at the river nervously.

"Elmer." I said, getting his attention. I then put my arms around his neck and kissed him. He froze for a moment, then kissed me back and wrapped me up in a tight hug. "Thanks." I smiled when we departed. His face was bright red.

"I's sorry." He told me. "I freaked out."

"Ya didn't have ta do what Harriet says." I grinned.

"She knows ya betta." He objected.

"Not really." I shook my head.

"I's gonna come back to Manhattan." Elmer promised. I noticed a few bruises on his face and arms. He was wearing a red flannel with the sleeves cut off.

"What happened?" I asked, touching a bruise on his arm lightly. He flinched away from the contact. I smiled.

"Them Brooklyn boys ain't messin' around." The black haired boy shrugged.

"Crutchie was right." I hissed. "He told me about how the Brooklyn boys is bullies."

"Ya could say that." He grinned. "I's gonna talk ta Spot, but I's gonna be back at the Lodging House by tonight."

"Okay."