IV.getting to know

"May I ask, sir, in the le-letters, why did you not mention you're a colored man?"

Genesis was stunned at her question, causing him to halt the buggy momentarily.

"No-not that I have nothing against colored folks, Sir," Agatha quickly added, tucking a strand of her red hair behind her ear.

Schooling his features, he merely shrugged, "I was afraid you'll reject the proposal, that's that,"

Genesis told her the plain truth.

"Hypo-hypothetically speaking, what if I chose to reject you still as soon as we met at the train station?"

That alone, his heart skipped a beat, his grip around the rein hardening. Still, he forced himself to remain calm.

No way would she back out. After all, they already venture this far. If she'd turn him down, she should've done it as soon as her eyes clapped at him.

"Tell you the truth, Agatha, I don't know what I'll do," he responded, watching her reaction in the corner of his eyes.

"Ne-neither do I if ever, you know, I back out," she murmured, sighing afterward.

"I'll give you money for a train ticket, dear," he found himself replying though he wasn't sure he could do it. It's not about the few notes he'll be giving, it's about him... losing her.

Shaking her head, "Tha-that's very kind of you, Sir but I'll just sti-stick with you,"

Agatha seems far too engrossed in the conversation, her slender fingers splayed across her lap, she seems to not notice her leg touching his, unlike the usual contact of mere hips only.

That alone bought chills down his spine, one that he chose to take a blindside on.

'For god's sake, now's not the time to let your loins control you,' hollered Genesis in his mind, frowning.

Agatha must've caught him frowning for she immediately apologized, "For-forgive me for asking, sir. I was merely curious, that's all,"

Giving her a short gaze, he replied, "I'm happy to satisfy your curiosity anytime you prefer, dear,"

Nodding, Agatha suppressed a blush.

There was silence after that once again. The view that lies beyond them was nothing but an endless road.

In a few hours, they'll be stopping for a minute for a quick rest by the pond. Genesis, indeed, is in dire need of a splash of water onto his face. With all these vulgar thoughts and all.

He probably has his own throne in hell, with his name fancifully engraved.

Genesis was stopped in his train of thoughts when his ears picked up such a soft feminine voice beside him, "We-were you the one who wrote the letter, or was it your friend De-devon?"

Again, he was stunned at her very random questions. In their first couple of days on the road, all she had in mind was regarding his place, whether this or that.

Now, she was asking such questions Genesis thought would never ever cross her mind.

Still, he answered her fir that's the last thing she deserves. The truth.

"It was me who wrote them which explains the lousy handwriting," he answered with a grin, trying to lighten up the mood.

Chuckling, "I do like your pe-penmanship, Sir. I think it builds one's character,"

He was taken aback at her statement. Never had someone known to compliment his eyesore handwriting.

If anything else, most take turns insulting.