VII.baby, it's cold

The rain did not cease one bit, raining the next morning and the next and the next.

Teeth shuddering, her cheeks colorless, her skin as cold as ice, Agatha, indeed, is freezing to death for she hasn't brought her own blanket.

'stupid, stupid me,' was the words that kept replaying over and over her head, her eyes downcast.

How could she even bring a blanket when in the first place, she doesn't possess one. Back in Cedarburg, her employers gave her battered hand-me-down blankets, too thin even as a rag.

As soon as Genesis noticed her state, her head downcast, her trembling body, he stopped the carriage right away, setting aside the reins, cursing at himself for not noticing it sooner.

Agatha, taking note of the sudden disappearance of the constant vibration from the not-so-smooth road, looked up, biting her inner cheeks, her eyelids droopy, giving Genesis a confused gaze.

"Goodness gracious, sweetheart, why didn't you tell me you're cold?" exclaimed Genesis, twisting his upper body to the back.

Before she could digest what he's about to do, the next thing she knows, a quilt enveloped her shoulders down to her lap.

"I-i am?"

Her sapphire eyes followed his every movement, from blowing his palms, to rubbing it against each other unto her shoulders to her elbows, providing her warmth.

When Agatha felt a pair of warm massive hands on her shoulders, it felt as if lightning struck her.

Now, his comforting hands went to her cheeks, Agatha felt the color of her cheeks returning, "I know you're a shy little thing but please tell me next time if you're cold, sweetheart, please,"

All Agatha could muster is a mere nod, her eyes glued to the swift motion of his hands around hers.

Agatha sure was stunned at his sudden deeds yet she found herself leaning against his comfortable hands, her eyes closing, a soft smile launching.

"Don't hesitate to tell me everything, even the ones you think are unnecessary, Agatha" he uttered, his warm palms still around her cheeks. His worried hazelnut eyes over her, eager to provide warmth.

"Hmmm," was all she could ever reply.

It went on like this until she digested the fact that, indeed, the buggy had stopped, the reins set aside. Meaning, she, once again, is delaying their journey.

Instantly, her eyes opened, shame washed her, guilt reigning her heart, "I'm fi-fine, Sir,"

Yet, Genesis didn't buy her lie, his hands still plastered.

Her eyes went sideways, overlooking the endless roads ahead of them.

After a few minutes, Genesis seemed satisfied with Agatha's state, she was no longer trembling, the color of her cheeks had returned. Her lips and eyelids are no longer in the shade of violet and blue.

As usual, silence enveloped the journey yet that's what Agatha likes about Genesis.

She was used to people constantly viewing her quietness as rudeness, thus, compelling for panic to rise within her chest as her lips began blabbering about nonsense.

Yet at the end of the conversation, all they'll comment about is her disturbing stutters. All she could ever do is reply with a forced smile, pretending not to be hurt one bit.

But with Genesis here, he doesn't seem to mind too much. In fact, their silence is comfortable, with no awkwardness.

Well, besides when Agatha felt like throwing unexpected questions her lips spilled out before she could stop it.

"Wo-wouldn't people think us strange?"

Genesis threw her a short glimpse, his brow rising, "What'd you mean?"

Fingertips tracing the stitches of her bronzed frock she vividly remembers mending the night before her trip to Texas, "Us. A whi-white woman and a colored folk living to-together, u-unmarried,"

Grinning, he responded with a casual tone, "Wouldn't it be strange if we're married?"

Not that Agatha cares about her reputation for you see, all she ever seeks is security. Away from Cedarburg. Away from that family. From that manor. Besides, her reputation back in Cedarburg is not exactly immaculate.

"I guess you're right, it's ju-just that, to ma-make things more com-complicated, some might accuse me of witchcraft," Agatha murmured, her frail fingers strumming her red curly hair.

Genesis followed the motion of her fingers, captivated, then puffed out, "Your hair is to die for, Sweetie," grinning.

Agatha chuckled, grinning back, causing his heart to pound harder.

"You have the most beautiful hair my eyes ever clapped on, you know," he added, staring from her sapphire eyes to her seductive plump lips.

At the mention of that, her cheeks turning rosy, absentmindedly biting her lips, her eyes went on her lap.

Mentally cursing himself, Genesis warned himself to avoid himself from opening his mouth way too often.

His hands tightening around the reins, adjusting his hat, "Besides, they're way too far away to know your presence, sweetheart and you have my word, the boys at the ranch wouldn't even dare mentioning your name,"

"And Devon was even the one who suggested this whole idea, you know," he added, shrugging.

Giving her a sideways glance, "Well, what about you, something bothering you about our arrangement?"

Hurriedly, her pretty little head snapped back, shaking her head, "Oh, no, all's fi-fine, Sir."

Genesis let his right brow rise, "You sure?"

Her compulsory beam still intact, she replied, "I wouldn't be sitting he-here with you in the middle of nowhere if I'm not,"

Genesis just grins back but he's no fool, he knew like him, she was just doing this for she was desperate. It was obvious she was running away from something, from someone judging from the nightmare and all.

However, looking at her, Genesis knew he couldn't let this angel go. His heartache even at the thought of it

"I could ask the boys to bring their wives and daughters to accompany you," He added after a few minutes, eyeing her drenched surroundings as if lost in thought.

"Tha-that's no-not necessary, Sir. I wouldn't wa-want bugging the-them,"

There was a long pause subsequently. Genesis knew Agatha wanted to say something but was hesitating.

"Spill it,"

She gave her a dumbfounded look, "Spi-spill what?"

His brow raised, he grinned, "Whatever you want to say, I could tell,"

Again, Agatha hesitated to judge from the look in her eyes. Genesis was about to persuade her once more when, fortunately, she came out of her shell.

"If you do-don't mind, Sir. Yo-you told me you have dozens of cows, would you please teach me mil-milking them?" As soon as those words escaped her lips, her eyes immediately turned to her lap, as if in utter embarrassment.

Genesis was torn between laughing at her cuteness and wrapping his arms around the poor girl.

Genesis wonders what she'd been through to be this shy.

"Be my guest but strictly no riding horses yet for you, sweetheart," he answered, grinning.

Even with her bent head, he could tell she was grinning as well.

/////

Sorry for the brief chapter, dears! Keep safe and don't forget your face masks!