XV.nightly swimming

Excitement roaring through his veins, a massive beam plastered in his face, Genesis twisted the doorknob, walking to her bed in such cat-like footsteps.

Genesis left the bucket, scrub, even the towel by the doorway.

The curtains closed, no moonlight illuminating, plus the absence of a kerosene lamp, Agatha's eyes remained shut, her ears ringing over the sound of soft footfalls nearing her, her cold shaky fingers clutching the sheets, her nape sweaty.

Again, Agatha felt like she was back in Cedarburg. With its dark chamber, murky presence, harsh hand locking her legs. The reek of alcohol, the pull of her hair in the cold, cold night.

When she felt a hand touch her cheek, her eyes went wide, a high-pitched scream escaped her lips, tears pouring down her cheeks.

Her hands immediately shielded herself, covering herself as she hoarsely hollered the words, "Do-don't hurt me, please, please,"

Genesis was in utter shock at how Agatha reacted, instantly, he sat down on the bed, his arms encircling around her shoulders, "Hush, it's only me, sweetheart, nothing to be scared of,"

"I would never hurt you, Agatha, please. Don't cry, sweetheart," he added, brushing his fingertips on her brows.

Genesis went on like that, caressing her back, her hair, thus, wiping her tears with his gray shirt.

Agatha was cradled in his arms, gasping for air, her hands around his waist, cheeks on his shoulder, calming herself.

Agatha let her eyes wander around Genesis, assuring herself that she was not back in that old dark washing room in Cedarburg, instead, here she is, in Texas with Genesis.

Genesis who would always protect her, who wouldn't even think of hurting her. Intentionally or unintentionally.

After a few minutes, Agatha had stopped crying, had finally calmed down but Genesis was still not over it. He knew he had to know what really occurred back in Canterbury.

Lord knows he really, really wants to know. Not just want, he needs to.

Huffing, he knew now's not the time to force herself to relive such memories.

"Sorry for coming in without knocking, Agatha, I was only here to fulfill my promise,"

Agatha, still nestled in his chest, lifted her head, staring back at him, "You know, about the pretty little pebbles in the lake, I couldn't sleep so I figured..."

Agatha just stared at him, unblinking, "and I realize I shouldn't disturb you, sweetheart. Perhaps, next time,"

Genesis was about to rose from his seat when Agatha hardened her grip around him, their legs overlapping, "I would li-like to go now, Genesis,"

"Perhaps you should just go back to sleep, sweetheart," Genesis replied, kissing her forehead.

Still, Agatha gripped his arm, stopping him, pleading, "Please, Genesis, I-i really like to pick up a few pebbles,"

Sighing, Genesis nodded.

Half an hour later, the two of them are already at the lake, having to only walk from the house to the lake, their hands intertwined.

Genesis, putting down the kerosene lamp by the boulder, bent down towards the lake, Agatha following, tucking her red hair behind her ear.

A cold breeze passed by, causing Agatha to shiver, Genesis then adjusted her quilt he reminded her to wear over her shoulders.

All while Genesis was busy scrubbing the pebbles Agatha had picked, he couldn't stop himself from staring at her, grinning because Agatha looked so serious walking over the lake, searching for her heart's desire.

"Be careful out there, Agatha," hollered Genesis, wiping his sweat using his forearm.

Agatha twisted her upper body to him, flashing such a smile, "Yes, Sir!" giving him two thumbs up.

"And don't get so many pebbles! My arms are beginning to ache from all the scrubbing," he added, grinning.

"I'll just he-help you scrub later, Gen,"

Genesis was stunned at what she just called him. Gen. He likes that one better.

No one has given him a nickname until now. Genesis then looked at her with the same adoring eyes.

Agatha, with her skirt all drenched up, bent down to pick a pebble in the far corner when her foot slipped, before she knew it, her buttocks awfully hit the boulders, her lips letting out a soft squeak.

Genesis didn't think twice, he ran straight to her, his heart beating fast, his hands encircling around her waist, helping her get up.

"Are you hurt somewhere, sweetheart?" He hoarsely asked, his eyes roaming around hers. Panic detected not only in his voice but in his face as well.

Agatha shakes her head, eyeing him. Genesis waited for her response, his hands on her cheeks.

Looking back at what happened, Agatha chuckled at such memory, the memory of her clumsily slipping in the lake, her buttocks slamming.

The adrenaline rush. Her heart was beating so fast before she realized what was about to happen to her dear poor buttocks.

Genesis gave her a strange and confused look at first by the sound of her sudden laughter then as she kept laughing and laughing, Genesis found himself laughing along with her. His hand still protectively secured around her waist.

"You clumsy little girl," murmured Genesis, pinching her nose.

"And you-you nervous big boy," murmured Agatha back, pinching his nose as well, causing them to crack up once again.

When they walk towards the boulder where the kerosene lamp was placed, the both of them realized that Agatha is drenched from her neck to toe, her nightgown clinging to the shape of her body.

At that realization, Agatha's cheeks turned crimson, Genesis meanwhile let out a cough, averting his gaze yet his hands adjusting her quill to cover herself up.

And so, they walked towards the night all drenched, the both of them still laughing at what happened, his arm around her shoulder while the other holding the bucket filled with pebbles.