Sandstone

Me: you updated yesterday! You don't need to post this chapter just yet.

Also me: sees ranking.

Me: posts chapter.

Number 20 in Naruto!!! Thank you guys so much!! Enjoy!!

Orochimaru was less than pleased.

Toph sat on the floor in front of him, feeling his heart rate fluctuate. The sannin was restrained, chained into a straightjacket and the floor. His hair had been chopped off, and seals were painted on both his skin and tags stuck to him.

His fingers had been taken care of especially, each individual digit encased in an odd sort of steel glove. He couldn't move them at all.

"You're different," his voice no longer purred like it had when he was fighting the old man. "Both the way you attacked and the way you turned your back."

Toph tilted her head. "Why did Konoha want you so badly?"

The Sannin paused. "Why would I tell you?"

The Earthbender scrunched closer in on herself. "Do you have anything better to do?"

He paused. "Good point."

They sat in silence for a little while, then Orochimaru shifted slightly. "I'll play a little game with you. For every question I answer, I get to ask you one."

"Okay," Toph felt a smirk grow on her face. "Why do they want you dead?"

"I'm a genius that puny minds like theirs will never be able to understand. I performed experiments, morally questionable, sure, but everything I did Konoha used. They would be behind almost a decade in medical advancements if not for me." He chuckled dryly. "Yet, simply kill a few children and you instantly become the bad guy."

"So you slaughtered kids," Toph felt nauseous. "In the name of science."

"Technically no," he purred, a hint of his old bravado returning. "I experimented on them first. It's common knowledge-... unless it's not."

She couldn't reply, could only rock back slightly in shock, mind whirring.

That's why they want you dead, Toph realised.

"And it wasn't just in the name," Orochimaru hissed. "I've learned so much since then. Their sacrifices were worth it."

She shivered. "You're sick."

"Of a sort," the Sanin laughed. "Now, how were you able to break through my barrier?"

Toph was silent for a moment.

"Is that why you defected from the village?" She asked, her fingers rubbing on the cold stone floor.

"Yes, yes," he said impatiently. "That barrier was impenetrable. No one could've gotten through it. Tell me how."

Toph cocked her head. "I don't think I will."

He seemed utterly flabbergasted for a second, then he snarled at her. "We have a deal!"

"One that you set," Toph acknowledged. "For every question I  answer, I get to ask one. There was nothing in there about me answering."

There was a long moment of silence.

"You're quite sneaky," Orochimaru begrudgingly admitted. "Like a little rat."

Toph shrugged. "I come from a family of merchants. Contracts like that are in my blood. Care to make a different deal?"