Chapter Five

Amar walks back and forth in front of the transfers. We're all standing sluggishly in a row, only two of us seem alert- Eric and Four.

"Today you'll learn two things: how to shoot a gun, and how to win a fight" Amar holds a gun in his hand, the brief memory of holding one against my head makes a shiver run down my spine.

"Like I said last night, there will be three stages of initiation. Physical, emotional and mental. The stages are not weighed equally in determining your final rank, so it is possible to improve your rank over time" he glances at me, I am one of smallest ones here- the weakest.

The table we stand before has guns laid out in front of each person. Seeing the one I'm supposed to use, supposed to hold in a few moments, causes sweat beads to start rolling down my forehead.

I glance at the people around me, in between one of the Candor boys and Mia again. I don't mind her being the one I'm closest with out of the initiates, besides Tobias.

They all hold their guns, studying them or practicing their aiming. It takes me a moment to realize I should be doing the same thing.

After a deep breath, I pick up the weapon with both of my hands. I'm suddenly glad I wasn't placed besides Tobias; I don't think I could've dealt with learning with knowing he wanted me to use one of these on him in another world.

It's as heavy as it was in my simulation, but this one is all black while the other had some silver. All I want to do is put it back down, but today is about learning and I won't make it as a Dauntless if I can't handle a gun.

"I suggest you all watch me first before trying it on your own" Amar stands among us and points his gun towards the targets; three red circles growing smaller and smaller. "This'll be important for you all to know for the end of stage one."

He shoots his gun, hitting the center of the target. I study his technique, his feet apart and both hands gripping the handle. He makes it seem so easy, though I have no doubt no one here will shoot that perfectly with their first bullet.

"Go ahead" Amar instructs, walking behind our line.

A few shots are fired, I do my best not to react. I didn't think this would be how we would spend our first official day as an initiate- it feels like we've been here for so much longer.

I glance to my right, Mia shoots her gun with a bit of a rattle; sending a bullet to the rim of the target. She looks over her arm towards me and grins, shrugging her bare shoulders.

"It's better than the wall," she chuckles, I grin back.

"We don't have all day, initiate," Amar stands behind me. I glance at him and nod, wiping away the sweat that crosses over my lips.

Like Amar did, I set my feet apart and hold the gun with both hands. It seems smarter to not hold it so far, so I place my aim elbows length away. Inhale, exhale. My hands squeeze the trigger and I shoot the first bullet. Before I can express relief; the gun goes backward and smacks me in the face. I was so distracted that I wasn't prepared for the recoil.

Everyone around looks and chuckles. I groan holding my cheek.

"You okay, Amalia?" Mia asks, concerned.

"Not so much beginner's luck today." I force a chuckle, wiping the blood from my cheek and hold up the gun again.

I notice from here that the bullet didn't make any sort of mark on the target, but this time I know I'm prepared for the recoil. My fingers press the trigger on my exhale, the bullet grazes the top of the target.

The next, pass the target. The one after, on the third circle. I try to hide the smile, it feels like an accomplishment even though people around me already hit the center. Right after, I hit just outside the smallest circle.