Chapter 7

The flight to Angeles was somehow very long and very short. I sat next to Olivia, and Hadley and Hannah sat across from us. Georgia sat alone and was very quiet. She seemed very shy, and my heart warmed to her because she reminded me of Isla. I would have gone over to speak to her, but Olivia and Hannah both talked almost all of the flight while Hadley and I sat back and listened. Olivia gushed about how excited she was to get to the palace and meet Prince Oste. Hannah, on the other hand, kept reminding us about different protocol rules and updating us on the affairs of the state.

"I mean you should really know these things already, but we have very good relations right now with most other countries. Our biggest ally though is France because Prince Ahren married into the French Royal Family. If you don't know it already, I would start teaching yourself French or you may come off as inadequate to the prince," Hannah said, adjusting her posture in her chair right when the air hit some turbulence. She slipped a bit and almost knocked into Hadley. I tried to hide my laugh. 

"Dans ce cas, je suis heureuse que je puisse le parler," I said, smiling at Hannah, trying to look unassuming.

"What?" she asked, looking at me in confusion. "Oh you were speaking French, I um, I think I can't understand it because you have a strong accent.

I knew this wasn't true. She just wasn't good at French. I had convinced our neighbor, Madame Bernard, who came from France and owned a bakery in Harrisburg, to practice French with me nearly daily growing up because I thought it would look good on future college applications. I had never thought I would use it to put someone in their place. 

As much as I did not want to become a part of the inevitable drama and cattiness of being in the Selection, it was hard not too with Hannah. She was just so full of herself or acted like she thought she was so much better. It really bugged me. 

For most of the rest of the flight, Olivia told me pretty much all about herself. She had two sisters, and her family owned a successful boutique in her town. Her family sounded very close from the way she described them. As different as we were in our dispositions, I felt an affinity to her, and even though I had initially found her a bit overwhelming, she was actually very endearing. 

Hadley was quiet for most of the flight like me, though she would ask questions every now and then and laugh at comments Olivia made. She did not seem at all nervous, but she wasn't overconfident. She was just very relaxed and seemed like the type of person who could get along with anyone. If I was going to make any friends during this, I decided Olivia and Hadley would be a good place to start.

When we landed in Angeles we were whisked into limos and driven to the palace. When it first came into view, I was in awe. It was surrounded by large yellow stucco walls, and when we pulled into the front gravel drive, I saw a beautiful yellow stucco building that looked like it belonged more in an old city in Italy than in our young country.

"It is so BIG," Olivia gasped as she looked out one of the windows. 

"It is beautiful," I commented, following her gaze.

"It is the heart of our country's government and affairs. It is the most important place in Illéa," Hannah said, trying to straighten her already stiffly straight back. Hadley laughed at her comments.

"Hannah, you sound more like you are coming here to be the new Prime Minister, not trying win the hand of a prince!" she said, laughing.

"Being married to a prince is all about being a knowledgable and insightful companion," Hannah said, frowning.

"You make it all sound so fun," Hadley said. She let out a laugh, but there was an uneasiness to it. 

We pulled up to the front steps and were quickly pulled inside and led to a large room not too far from the entrance. When we arrived, I was shocked to see there already were what had to be most of the girls there in the room. They all turned when they saw us arriving, and then, to my annoyance, Judith appeared wearing a fitted gray tweed dress and a tight smile.