Chapter Ten

We all knew the day I went up against Four was coming, it was talk at breakfast. Some people sounded as if there were bets being made about who would concede first, if Four would actually lash out at me, and if I'd end my day in the infirmary.

"Maybe you should just concede after he punches you, it would be less messy that way" Mia and I walk towards the training room. I didn't have any appetite to eat my eggs and toast. I didn't think I could keep anything down.

Four might've said he would go easy on me, but after proving he's the best initiate, what does "easy" mean?

"It's my last fight, I have to show some ability that I can defend myself" I glance at Mia, pushing the heavy door that leads into the training room; the smell of sweat and shoes smack into me immediately.

It's clear that Four is keeping his distance for now, standing at the opposite end of the circle while we all watch Xander to fight Tara, she of course not putting up with his inability to hit a girl.

Xander punches Tara in the jaw, sending her to the floor.

"She's out cold" Xander makes an apologetic face towards Amar, our instructor looks just as uninterested as every other day.

"Take her to the dorms. Next" Amar calls out. Sean and Mia take the center.

"Good luck" I grin towards Mia, she gives me a grin herself when our eyes meet.

Just as the door opens for Xander carrying Tara's dead weight body, someone else walks in. Max.

Amar looks at Max with a smile, walking around the circle while multiple grunts come from the competitors.

"Max, nice of you to stop by" Amar greets, they shake hands.

"I wanted to come see some of the initiates perform for myself before stage one is complete. Hope you don't mind" his low voice causes a shiver up my spine.

"Of course not, you're just in time for the second match. The last pairing is what everyone's excited for, though" Amar glances towards me then to Four.

"Ah, yes. I hear only good things about our Abnegation initiates. Four sounds like a promising Dauntless leader in the making." I glance towards Four who looks a bit distraught, hearing the word "leader" in reference to him can't be a good thing.

Mia groans loudly when a loud snap echoes through the room. Amar runs to her side, it looks as if Sean hit her too hard.

"Medical. Now" Amar looks at Sean, I cringe towards the cries Mia is sounding.

Sean looks pale, not moving at first until Amar yells at him to stop standing around.

Amar let's out a deep breath and glances at both directions of the circle, me and Four. Our only audience now is Eric and Max- the joy.

"Okay, let's get this over with, shall we?" Amar asks while gesturing for us to step forward.

Without hesitation, I walk forward. It felt like everyone else gave their all today, whether it forced someone into the medical center or not. My chances aren't looking very good.

Four and I stand a few feet away from each other, he looks taller than before. He looks stronger than before. More confident, maybe. But his eyes look lost and confused.

"Don't do it," I whisper to him.

"Don't do what?" He asks, his hands shaking at his sides.

"Go easy on me. Max sounded as if he came here just to see you fight, so don't give me mercy" I narrow my eyes and bring my arms up.