20. RHYTHM

20. RHYTHM

MAYA WEST IS THE BOSS when it comes to the two people sleeping on either side of her

MAYA WEST IS THE BOSS when it comes to the two people sleeping on either side of her. She decides when to alarm them, when to make them make her food, and ultimately, when to wake them up.

That's why after five minutes of laying there ━ calmly, mind you ━ with her eyes open and mouth slobbering all over her hand, she decides to start wailing.

She knows what she's doing.

The two adults awaken with a start, their bodies moving on their own as they follow through with the rhythm they'd established the first time Maya woke them up with her cries.

"I'll get the bottle," Elijah grumbles with eyes half closed as he walks towards the door only to bump right into it.

Aliyah, who barely witnesses what happened to Elijah, forces herself to wake up considering she can't afford to walk into anything.

"I got the diaper," Aliyah announces as she makes her way over to the diaper bag. Compared to last night, it looks like a hot mess. Diapers and teething rings are thrown all over the place.

One thing Naomi forgot to mention that Aliyah and Elijah had to learn the hard way: Maya's teething pain doesn't kick in until she's asleep.

The two seemed to get a glimpse into parenthood when they had to wake up at three in the morning to run around the room and find a solution to a problem they couldn't visibly see ━ before Elijah put his pediatric skills to use and came to the conclusion that his niece is teething.

Aliyah and Elijah move like a well-oiled machine. They first realized it right when they were putting her to sleep, Aliyah's head resting on his shoulder comfortably, her eyes peering down at the beautiful little girl with eyes that could stop a show.

When those eyes disappeared behind closed eyelids, Aliyah lifted her head and whispered one simple question, careful not to wake the sleeping child.

"You have any clothes I can borrow?"

That's why she was dressed in an oversized t-shirt and a pair of boxers, her bare legs on display to the world. She sleeps better when her legs are free of restraint. Luckily, she shaved before she went to Elijah's place.

One thing she was annoyed about is the fact that she slept without a bonnet again. She could only imagine how fuzzy and messy her hair looks at the moment.

Aliyah quickly changes Maya's diaper, throwing the old one in a plastic bag then in the diaper genie that Elijah had pulled from his closet ━ apparently, he's a frequent flier when it comes to taking care of children. He has the whole nine, from toys to highchairs to diaper genies. Aliyah can't help but commend his preparedness.