Chapter 11

This Isn't Love

Jungkook and Taehyung reached the hospital quick enough for Jungkook to still be in a breathing condition. Fortunately doctors came to his aid quickly and got Jungkook on a ventilator. Taehyung sat outside his ward with his hands over his nose and elbows against his knees. Taehyung couldn't stop worrying. This is what has been happening to Jungkook. All along. And no one knew. Jungkook hid it. That's why he would flinch if we bump into each other. That's why Jungkook is always so quiet and doesn't talk to others. That's why Joon disliked me the second he laid eyes on me. Finally everything about Jungkook started to click into place.

Taehyung felt tears in his eyes thinking about what Jungkook must have been going through all this time. How long has Joon been abusing him? Jeon Jungkook...he's the sweetest most innocent soul ever. But then that's all the reason for someone to hurt him. He's the perfect victim. Innocent, vulnerable, a beautiful and kind soul. Of course he would be easy to manipulate. If only...If only I found out earlier. Maybe I could have saved him before.

Once the doctors had finished cleaning up Jungkook's injuries, Taehyung was allowed to see him. The tears in Taehyung's eyes finally fell as he stood next to the sleeping boy. Jungkook was wrapped in bandages. One on his right wrist, left calf, around his forehead, and there must be lots around his ribs. The sight of Jungkook so helpless and hurt, pained Taehyung's heart. He felt a pit in his stomach seeing the one he cares so much about in such a state.

Taehyung reached his hand out and intertwined it in Jungkook's left hand. Taehyung felt a rush in his veins, feeling how perfectly Jungkook's hand fitted in his. Taehyung finally realised that...he always felt this type of rush of emotions when close to Jungkook. Always. Like when he accidentally kissed his cheek. He wished he could do it again.
I....like Jungkook...? But Taehyung wasn't going to do anything about this thought. Right now Jungkook's health was the most important thing. He couldn't imagine how much pain Jungkook suffered this whole time behind closed doors. Taehyung needed to help him.

Not long later one of the doctors treating Jungkook came inside the ward to speak with Taehyung. He introduced himself as Dr Kim. Taehyung turned his back to Jungkook preparing himself to answer the questions Dr Kim was about to ask. "Well I think I should get straight to the point. How did Jungkook get injured like this?"

Taehyung didn't want to answer this question until Jungkook woke up so he could tell him that they need to tell the hospital about Joon. Because he knows Jungkook might not like the idea of that. But there was no going away from it. If Taehyung said he didn't know, the doctor would ask how did he find Jungkook. Of course in his home but Joon lives with him so it already shows what happened.

Taehyung hesitated but said "Jungkook lives with an abusive boyfriend...He did all that to him." Taehyung looked down not wanting to see Dr Kim's reaction. After a moment of silence he heard a huge sigh in devastation from the doctor.

"I'm guessing this isn't the first time this has happened?" Dr Kim asked solemnly. Taehyung nodded. "I don't know how long it's been happening but I just found it out about it" Taehyung explained.

"I thought so" Dr Kim sighed again. "I can tell not all of the injuries are from now, there are several that have been inflicted a while ago."

"About that, how badly injured is he?" Taehyung asked very worried.

"His ribs are the most injured right now. There are several fractures on the front of them. We've bandaged it up so he won't be able to move his torso around much for a while. The rest of his bones are ok but from the scans I've seen, I'm guessing a bone on his right wrist may of broken before. But it's healed on its own over a period of time. We've just bandaged it up again. The rest of his body is just very sore and will take a while to recover from the pain" Dr Kim explained to Taehyung.

Taehyung felt terrible hearing all this. "Thank you" He said and the doctor left the room again. Taehyung wasn't sure how Jungkook would react when he tells him he told the doctor about Joon which obviously many others will know soon. Taehyung hung his head low and turned around to walk back toward Jungkook's hospital bed. Taehyung sat down on the chair beside him and looked up at Jungkook. To his surprise he saw the younger's doe eyes slightly open looking back at him.

"Jungkook" Taehyung smiled and leaned forward to carefully take the oxygen mask off him. "How are you feeling?" He asked as he put the mask beside Jungkook. Jungkook coughed slightly, his eyes only half open. "You...You told them...about Joon" Jungkook mumbled, weakness evident in his voice.

Taehyung didn't know Jungkook was listening to the conversation with the doctor but just nodded. "I can't lie to a professional doctor who would be able to tell if I lied from your injuries." Of course if Taehyung thought long he could come up with a good lie. But he had to tell people about Joon. He was dangerous and needed to stay away from Jungkook.

Taehyung could see tears in Jungkook's eyes. "Still...what will happen to Joon?" Jungkook asked still not wanting his boyfriend to suffer. He didn't understand why his feelings were so complicated. He wanted to get away and be safe but he still wanted to be with Joon.

It was completely messed up to Taehyung. Manipulated. That's the only word Taehyung could describe what's going on Jungkook's mind. Taehyung leaned closer and rested his hand on top of Jungkook's. "Jungkook, Joon needs to receive consequences for his actions" Taehyung tried to explain to him gently. "He hurt you mercilessly."

"But he...only does it cause he loves me" Jungkook sobbed. The poor boy didn't understand what he was saying.

"Jungkook-ah" Taehyung cooed. "That's not love" He tried to tell Jungkook in the softest way possible holding his hand. "This isn't what love is."

"Then...Then what is it?" Jungkook asked helplessly looking at his hyung.

Taehyung paused for a moment looking at the hurt boy. Then he slowly leaned his face closer to Jungkook's. His other hand made its way towards Jungkook and gently cupped his cheek. By now Taehyung's face was inches away from the younger.

Jungkook didn't know what Taehyung was doing. But he found his heart beating faster seeing how close the older was to him. Like everything just stopped. He didn't know what was going to happen.

"I'll show you some other time" Taehyung whispered and drew back, taking his hand of Jungkook's cheek. Jungkook didn't understand. He didn't get what that meant. But he hoped to find out soon...