The end of spring

After the phantasm that gave him the shivers disappeared, Ferry flew straight to May's balcony. It was quiet. The night was still as if nothing happened. Ferry looked inside. He saw May sleeping peacefully in her bed, a slight smile in the corner of her mouth. He decided to spend the night on her balcony and guard her from — From what was he trying to guard her? Banshee was a fairy who foretold death. And death could come in many forms.

He sat in a corner of the balcony, his chin resting on his knees. He stood there, his thoughts wandering away until the first snippets of light drove away from the darkness of the night. He took another look inside. May slept just as peacefully, her face bright as a sunny day. Ferry left the balcony; it would have been difficult to justify his presence there in front of May's parents. At Lavender's house, he snuck in the parlor and carefully took the Book of Fairies out of the old chest's drawer. He heard a creak behind him and found Lavender in her chair by the fireplace.

"May I know where you've been?" she said in a harsh voice that Ferry had never heard before.

"I-- I was just wandering around ..." Ferry replied. He didn't want to talk about what she had seen for fear Lavender would consider it too dangerous for him to leave the house.

"Parsley and I were worried sick about you," she scolded him, ignoring his answer. "You know we can't get out of here. You know we can't search for you, especially Parsley. And I am too old to cross the town or the forest high and low in search of you!"

"I'm sorry ... I didn't mean to--"

"Listen, Ferry, I was once young, too," she said, and her voice softened a little. "I know what it's like to have feelings for someone. I know what it's like to always think about that person and want to see that person every day. But understand that things that happen in this town can be dangerous for all of us, but especially for you."

Ferry nodded, "I understand, Miss Lavender. I'll try to be more careful."

"Now tell me why you need the Book of Fairies," she asked without taking her eyes off him.

"Well ... I was thinking of flipping through it a little before it's time to go to school," he lied.

"You don't have to sneak in for that," Lavender smiled. "I'm glad you're finally interested in discovering your nature," she smiled.

Ferry also smiled and retreated to his room. He locked the door behind him, then began flipping through the thin, yellow pages that smelled of forest, mould, and berry jam. He found the pages that referred to the Solitary Fairies, of which Banshee, the herald of death, was also a part of. He began to read about the old whining fairy that only brought suffering with her. Each line gave him shiver down his spine.He found out that if Banshee moaned in front of a house for three days in a row, it meant someone would die in that house. Humans could not see or hear her, only the fairies.

When he finished reading, he closed the book and shivered like a dreadful dream. She didn't want May or her parents to suffer. May had been his friend for years, and although nothing had happened between them, he cared much for her. He was the most altruistic person he had ever known.

When the clock stroke seven in the morning, Ferry changed for school, threw some books and notebooks in his schoolbag, and hurried out. He arrived at May's house and watched the flower shop behind a thick tree across the road. He stayed in front of the house until May appeared. In her school uniform, May looked much younger than her real age. The girl smiled, slightly surprised when she saw him.

"Ferry, what are you doing here?" she asked.

"I was thinking of going to school together if you don't mind," he said.