31. My Lucky Red Dress

"So, tell me who I see
when I look in your eyes.

 Is it you, baby,
 or just a

 brilliant disguise?"

~ Bruce Springsteen

"Are you excited?"

Ace blinked at the beaming Scarlett standing outside his door. His tie hung undone around his neck, coloured in a shade of rich emerald, doing wonders to bring out his striking eyes.

He looked at Scarlett who wore a dress in shades of blue that brought out hers.

"What?" he asked.

"Are you excited?" she repeated, "For the launch?"

"Ambrose, you do understand that it's happening only this evening, right? Not right now?" Ace asked, moving aside and letting her walk in.

Scarlett waved a hand, dismissively.

"You can still be excited." She plopped herself down on to the made-up bed and looked up at him.

Ace began to do his tie as the weather report played.

"Sunny skies expected over Devon Falls for the rest of the week, but after Saturday, we expect some storms like the one we had earlier this week, John," said the weatherman.

"I guess it's a good thing we won't be here next week," Ace said, glancing at Scarlett out of the corner of his eye as he pulled his tie through a loop.

She sighed, leaning back on her arms and then smiled, playfully. "What? You don't want to sleep in the spare bed in my room to keep an eye on me in case I spontaneously combust again?"

Ace smiled. "I'm always worried that you're going to spontaneously combust, Ambrose. Not only when the sky breaks loose."

"Then why did you sleep in my room that night?" she asked, despite the fact that her heart was pounding loudly in her chest. "If it's no different from any other day?"

Ace shrugged. "I guess childhood trauma is something I can understand."

He looked over at her properly and found her watching him intently. They stared at each other the way they had been doing increasingly over the past two weeks.

Scarlett bit down on the inside of her cheeks in thought. It was the second time that Ace had stayed close to her during a storm and her heart swelled in gratitude for her boss; a man that everyone seemed to fear and respect.

Slowly, she stood up as Ace watched her, adjusting the knot of his tie against the collar. He watched her eyes as she came close to him and stood right in front of him.

Slipping her arms around his strong torso, she pulled him in for a hug, gently. She inhaled his scent, the familiar smell of Ace Hardwood, mixed in with his expensive cologne and sighed. All she wanted to do was to relax into him and let her inhibitions down and make sure that his warm hands didn't leave her back, but she couldn't. She pulled away, after a few seconds, making Ace drop his hands.