27. Revelation

"Yes, Safir?" It was almost evening and I was wrapping up my work in office to leave when I got interrupted by a call from my agent in the Intelligence bureau. I had employed him after coming back from the States to keep tabs on Aasiya. He was the one who had helped me get the intelligence report on Captain Hadi. Following that, I had asked him to keep an eye on him just to be sure, in case he makes any sudden move. I picked the call assuming he had called me to give the latest report on Captain Hadi's movements.

"Sir—I got intel on Miss Aasiya today. I was wondering if you wanted me to look into it?" His usual clipped tone was replaced with a hint of uneasiness. Upon hearing her name, I immediately turned my full attention to him.

"What intel—" I began slowly, unable to hold out the edge from my voice. I was going to meet her a few hours ago, but an emergency meeting had held me back.

For a while, I could only hear silence at his end. But before I could repeat my question, he continued from where he left off.

"Yesterday, at 6pm, an FIR was lodged against the disappearance of Miss Aasiya. According to reports, that I had went to confirm for myself, Miss Aasiya had been missing since 11am yesterday morning——" He went on in a sombre voice without stopping but I couldn't hear another word coming out of his mouth.

There was a strange ringing in my ears that was blocking out every other sound. I wanted to move, blink—do something—but I kept sitting numb in my place; unable to tear my gaze away from the blank computer screen in front of my eyes.

"I can't be with you, Navi. I am sorry."

The hand holding the phone against my ear, trembled with a strange intensity. I could suddenly feel cold shudders running through my entire body. I wanted to stand up—or say something to him—but it was becoming harder to breathe. A sense of tightness gripped my chest and I tried to heave but the lump in the back of my throat kept on blocking my airway.

"Sir—" I was vaguely aware of Safir calling my name but instead of his words; Captain Hadi's warning flashed through my mind.

"She'll never be yours. All your money. All your love and your power couldn't stop her from running away once and it won't stop her again. I will eagerly await the day when she leaves you again—"

"—has been alerted and we are doing everything to search for her. The entire Police force has been mobilised to check for any clues—" I heard him say, but instead of letting him finish, I inquired through quivering lips.

"Who—Who lodged it—the complaint—" I found myself asking and using the support of the table, I stood up.

"Your father, sir—Mr. Suleiman—" He added after a pause and I felt like someone had pulled the ground from beneath my feet.

Yet, within the next few seconds, I was running out of the office and getting into my car.

'They knew—everyone knew—and I was the only one who kept on dreaming merrily in oblivion—'

"I was never yours, Navi. Never will be. I will die, before succumbing to your greed. I will die at my own hands, if that's what it takes to escape you."

Her words from that day, came back to me and I felt a cold shiver run down my spine.

"Not everything can be bought with money, Navi—"