Chapter 42 - Captain America!

As the winner, Bruce was not complacent. He was the same as before, his face was bland, and it seemed as if he had not done anything.

Hill was very satisfied with Bruce's character, "You are very powerful, no wonder Barton said that you almost beat him."

After hearing this, Bruce was stunned at first, but felt amused after a while. Hawkeye was obviously beaten before, but when he told Hill about it, he said that Bruce only 'almost' defeated him.

Indeed, even superheroes had to keep up appearances. But Bruce didn't care much about that, those things were not important to him. At the moment, the only thing he cared about was what Hill would say next.

"This task is very important, but unfortunately we don't have the manpower to handle it, so we decided to hold a competition between you elites, which you won." Even now, Hill had not said what the task was. Regardless, Bruce managed to guess some of it.

"This is a top secret in S.H.I.E.L.D, but since you have been given this task, you need to know it." Hill smiled and motioned to Bruce to follow him.

Bruce nodded and followed Hill.

"Billionaire Tony Stark announced his identity as Iron Man before, and not long ago, a big explosion occurred in New Mexico. Afterwards, more events occurred in New Mexico, and even a Nordic God appeared there. Do you get what I mean?"

On the way to their destination, Hill talked about some of the recent events. As she was talking about them in order, Bruce could roughly guess their identities, being Iron Man, Hulk and Thor respectively.

These men all had power beyond the scope of an average person's understanding. However what Hill mentioned to Bruce were only superficial matters.

"S.H.I.E.L.D. has decided to form an unprecedentedly powerful organization formed by men like this." Hill said, as she entered an elevator and motioned to Bruce to follow him.

"As the agent I have personally selected, you are the only one who knows about this." Hill looked at Bruce smiled.

Of course Bruce knew what she meant. This was a top secret in S.H.I.E.L.D. and she didn't want others to know about it.

"Alright then, now I will take you to meet a legendary man, and your task as his helper is to help him resume his training within a certain timeframe." After saying that, Hill remained silent.

Time went by, as the two both remained silent, passing through security gates one by one.

As his level improved, so did Bruce's understanding of S.H.I.E.L.D. To Bruce, S.H.I.E.L.D. represented a huge and mysterious organization with the world's most modern technology and most powerful men.

Soon after, Bruce and Hill came to a very mysterious base. There were all kinds of research equipment around here.

This was the interior of the Avengers base, an area only level 8 agents and above could enter. Bruce could also see many researchers dressed in white pass by occasionally.

"That is Erik Selvig?"

Among the many researchers that passed by, Bruce managed to spot a rather well known person. He was a big researcher of the Tesseract, as well as a senior physicist.

In fact, Hydra had began studying the Tesseract decades ago and had already achieved some results. S.H.I.E.L.D. had had a bit of a late start, but they had also had some results.

Regardless if it was S.H.I.E.L.D. or HYDRA though, they both wanted to make weapons of destruction. Nick Fury did not fully believe in the Avengers he had chosen, so he wanted to make a weapon he could control.

As for whether he wanted to terrorize his enemies or just have leverage over his superheroes, nobody knew.

However, Bruce did not care about any of that. According to the timeline, the Tesseract will be brought to Asgard by Thor during the New York War.

Will I have a chance to download something off the Space and Mind gems?

There would be two Infinity gems throughout the whole New York War, and downloading something off them would take a very long time. But if he wanted to imitate Thanos's Infinity Gauntlet in the future, he had to have those gems.

As for the others, Bruce did not even spare them a thought. Currently, he could not even protect himself very well, let alone others.

"Okay, here we are." Just then, Hill's voice broke his chain of thought.

Suddenly, a huge dust-free clean room appeared in front of him, with everything inside being almost all white. In the center, a tall white man was sitting on the bed, his eyes seeming a little confused.

His physique was perfect, even through his clothes, Bruce could feel his powerful explosive force. "Captain, this is your helper." Hill said.

The man turned around and took a look at Bruce. That was Steve Rogers, better known as Captain America! And at the end of the room, a shield with the american flag was neatly placed there.

That was, of course, the Vibranium Shield!