38. Into the world

Using his magic, Vlad was transported outside of the palace. He looked back towards the magnificent palace and let out a small chuckle. His expression a bit distorted.

Currently, he was just on the rooftop of some building. Below him was a bustling city. Thinking that his appearance would cause disturbances, he changed his eyes and hair into the colour of ink. Vlad felt it was so strange that he knew how to work this magic. It felt as easy as breathing— as if he had done this countless times.

From the storage ring that was given to him, Vlad changed into a black coloured clothing with no patterns. It was quite simple, but it gave him the aura of elegance and mystery.

"This hair is too long. Should I cut it?" Vlad mused. Thinking about it for a moment, Vlad came to the conclusion that he really should cut it. He didn't know how to take care of such a long hair.

After cutting his hair with magic, Vlad felt satisfied. Surely no one could recognize him, right?

[Should I wear a mask?] Vlad thought to himself. There was still a possibility that he could be recognized. [What if there's someone who can see through my magic?]

Looking at the bustling city, Vlad came down from the rooftop through a place where people were not around, the alleyway.

After walking a few steps, Vlad felt something was amiss. This place was far too quiet, as if it was separated from the outside world. It was different from the bustling crowd that he just saw a moment ago.

This alleyway was in no way narrow. It was at least a meter and half in width. Yet no one was around. Vlad observed the sides, the building were strong, some were made out of wood, and some were made out of stone and bricks. Although they looked to be old, it was still magnificent. After all, this is the capital of Hale, Dylus.

In the higher height were the windows, light could be seen through them, yet no signs of shadow. Vlad looked back— no exit. It was gone. Narrowing his eyes, Vlad walked step by step with an even greater vigilance.

Eventually, Vlad heard some noises just at the end of the alleyway. From where he was, he heard screams and the shouts of men. It went silent for a moment before he heard yet again of desperate and terrified screams.

Vlad used magic to increase his speed and he saw it.