Chapter 3:

Sera's head jerks up, heart pounding like a million drums inside her. The sound of screams bouncing off the sky rises and she suddenly feels scared. 

"Oh my God," Sera whispers, fingers curling around her phone. 

Her first instinct is to call the police. Then she remembers that her phone is dead. Her second instinct is to text Cami. But again, dead phone. 

And her third instinct is to run towards the screams, which is possibly the stupidest thing she's ever done in her seventeen years of living. 

The shouts and yells sound strangely disoriented, like they're talking under a thick pane of glass. A horrible realization hits her, as Sera looks down, seeing bodies twist frantically in the sea. 

Even though the writhing bodies and the mouths open in silent screams makes her sick, she's baffled. 

All these people are going to drown. A part of her brain wonders: why? 

Sera shakes her head, trying to clear all her thoughts.

For some reason, Sera can't look away from the scene, even though her entire body is urging her to move — to run away.

None of it makes sense. Not until she lifts her gaze and sees him there. He is amidst all the chaos, the only person not panicking or screaming. 

Rather, his lips curl into an amused smirk, as though he sees this sight every day — even like he's enjoying the sight of watching people drown. 

Sera shoves her fear aside, dipping her toe into the icy water. Then, with her eyes squeezed shut, she jumps into the harbor. And even though a thousand disgusting thoughts of trash and spit  flash through her mind, she continues to wade through the dark ocean. 

She ignores the plea for help, her gaze only focused on him. 

As she draws closer, Sera realizes two things: one, he's gorgeous, all irresistible green eyes and messy bronze curls. His body is lean and taut, beauty almost rivaling that of Junjie's. 

Two, he's doing this. Making people jump into the harbor. You know how when you look at someone, you immediately know they're doing something naughty? That's what Sera sees when she's looking at the boy. 

How he's doing it, though, she's not exactly sure. 

As Sera moves towards him, fear slices through her stomach when she notices just how deep she's gone, the water almost up to her chest. 

She almost wants to run away, the discomfort of her wet socks and soaked shirt too hard to ignore. 

But still, she moves, her legs pushing forward. 

Before Sera can speak, the boy interrupts first. "It's beautiful, isn't it?" he asks, staring out at the distance. 

"What?" stammers Sera. 

"You know." The boy fixes his green eyes on her, gaze clinging onto Sera's body. "How beauty can be deadly." 

Sera feels butterflies erupt within her stomach. 

He's dangerous, her mind screams. Get away from him. Run. Anything. Just get away from him. 

She doesn't move. 

"Now would you mind telling me what you're doing here?" the boy asks, a barely-there smile touching his lips. "You don't exactly fit the picture." 

"What do you mean?" she whispers. 

"You're not screaming like the others," he says, moving closer to Sera. "What's going inside that pretty head of yours?" 

Sera doesn't dare to move, as he treads so close, the fluttering in her stomach growing worse. His lips tilt into a knowing smirk, as if he knows that her heartbeat is erratic. 

"Hmm." The boy tilts his head, like studying Sera from a different angle would change his view of her. "Interesting." 

"What's so interesting?" Sera spits out, using anger to shield her fear. "That you can't back away and let me get some personal space?

"You," he says casually. "You shouldn't be alive right now. In fact, see that man over there? You should be like him, screaming and about to be on the brink of death."

Sera blinks.

"You should have been dead a second ago," the boy continues, before noticing her expression. "Don't take it personally, Chocolate."

"Chocolate?" she sputters. "That's not my name, you idiot."

The boy shrugs, nonchalant. "Your eyes," he notes. "Looks kinda like chocolate."

Sera doesn't know what to say, opening her mouth for a retort, before she shuts it, worried she's going to make a stupid comment.

"I'm sorry," Sera says slowly, "but who the hell are you again?" 

"Names are dangerous," the boy replies. "Especially with a dangerous person."

"Are you saying that I'm dangerous?" she asks, folding her arms across her chest.

His pupils dilate, as he watches Sera's every move with a scrutinizing gaze. "Well, yes," he admits. "You're very dangerous. Those who witness and do not die? You should be most wary of them."

"Are you going to kill me?" she asks quietly.

"Kill you?" An amused laugh escapes the boy's lips. "What do you think I am, a monster?"

"Are you?"

"Interesting." The boy leans closer. "You seem to think asking the wrong questions can get you somewhere."

Sera wants to back away, but she's paralyzed again. 

"I'm asking the wrong questions?" she challenges. "I think you're answering it the wrong way."

He smiles, though it's not a genuine one. Predatoriness enters his gaze, as he holds her withering stare.

"You know, I think I should probably go." Sera motions in the direction of the bus station. "I have a meeting later."

"Why do I think you're lying?" The boy frowns. "A meeting this late? Tsk tsk, Chocolate. You need more practice with lying."

Sera feels her blood flaring. "Well, what does it matter to you?" she huffs. "Now can you move? I'm trying to get to my car."

He cinches her waist, causing a yelp to escape Sera.

"Don't you hear the music?" he whispers feverishly. "The music that makes you just want to jump into the water?"

Sera tries to listen, but hears nothing.

"You're special," he finally says. "Different." 

Sera is suddenly aware that he's holding her against his chest. "Personal space?" she wheezes, and when he doesn't respond, she struggles to escape. "Can you please let go of me?"

He loosens his hold on her — and just when Sera thinks he's going to let go, he does the unexpected.

He kisses her.