vii. THE SOURCE

THE SOURCE!( e pluribus unum part 2 )

THE SOURCE!
( e pluribus unum part 2 )

Ben woke up in his house, in his own bed, and in his own clothes. Part of him wondered if he dreamt everything that happened earlier, and that it was still his birthday and he was safe. That was until he felt the sharp pain in his side and head, he grumbled under his breath, annoyed and frustrated and tired. The door opened and in walked Mike, wearing a sheepish smile. "You're awake. How'd you sleep?" Mike asked as he sat awkwardly on the edge of Ben's bed, peering down at him.

"I don't even remember falling asleep," Ben murmured, sitting up with a wince. Mike dived forward to help him, but Ben waved him off. Mike frowned, "Yeah, you passed out in the car. Scared the shit out of all of us," his voice dropped into a whisper, "Thought you were going to die. We really thought you were."

Ben nudged Mike's thigh with his foot, "Hey, I'm not going anywhere. I'm still here. It's gonna take more than a bad concussion and a deep cut to kill me." Mike snorted softly and wiped the tear that rolled down his cheek. He looked so vulnerable sitting there with Ben. It almost made Ben want to cry.

"Don't forget the sprained ankle, too," Mike joked, making Ben laugh. That brought a smile to Mike's face. Once Ben stopped laughing, Mike cleared his throat, "Look, I'm really, really sorry about the other day. When we fought. I feel like shit and I shouldn't have said those things about you and your dad. I didn't mean it. I felt bad the whole day, and the next day when no one could find you and we didn't know where you were or what happened to you, all I could think about was that the last thing I ever said to you, was that." Mike then chuckled dryly, "God, I was so scared. We had just found out about the Mind Flayer being back, and the only thing going through my head was that he killed you, and I said those things to you, and I'd never be able to see you again and apologize."

Mike was crying now, and Ben watched with sad eyes, shaking his head. "It's okay, Mike. I know you didn't mean it. It's okay. I'm still here, you don't have to worry about me."

"I worry about you every single day, Ben. Everyday. I worry about how you're feeling, how you're coping with everything. I worry about you when you get sad– Yes, I notice. Everyone does. I worry about you when you're not in the same room with me." Mike said, looking in Ben's eyes as he did. He had his hand on Ben's ankle, keeping it there to make sure Ben was really there, to make sure he was alive and real and not a figment of his imagination. Ben rested his hand over Mike's, "You don't have to worry. I'm okay. Really." Ben answered softly.

Mike looked down at their hands, and Ben awkwardly pulled his away, wiping his palm on his shorts. Mike wished he hadn't pulled away. "I forgive you, Mike. Okay?" Ben asked. Mike didn't seem to believe him at first, he just stared at him and eventually nodded, "Okay."