Day 2-7: Ûl

Ûl reapeared in the mine. The difference between her real weight and the weight of the ores she was carrying startled her but she managed to keep standing.
Because of the Ores weight she took thrice as much time to travel from the mine to the forge than usual. At the forge she talked to the Smith and he accepted to tale her as an apprentice.

They started by smelting the ores into ingots. It was a hard work as the fire had to be kept at a high temperature, the ore had to be melted in a pot until the impurities surfaced and manualy remouved by a special spoon like tool then the molten metal had to be poured into an ingot mold where it would cool and harden. She had produced 51 tin ingots, 48 brass ingots and 82 iron ingots

Once she was done woth all the ores and was waiting for them to cool, the smith took her to a pile of brocken down swords. He asked her to melt those too. He showed her how to remove the leather and wooden parts of the grip without damaging them and melted the blade in the furnace.

She did as he did. Separating the leather demanded finess as you had to unbrid and untangle the strands but removing the blade from the wood required strength.
After that she melted all the brocken blades to the point of making another 200 ingots of iron, 254 of Bronze and 218 of Copper.

Since she had never mined Bronze
Before she asked where she could find some but the smith told her it was a mixture of Tin and Brass smelted together.

So she tried to make some. She took an ingot of Each an put them in the furnace. As it melted, it was a much clearer red than she remenbered so she put in another Brass ingot. Using another tool, a long shining pipe, she mixed the melted ores together and poored them into three ingot molds.
After that she mixed the rest of the Tin and Brass ingots into Bronze.
By the time she was done it was mid-afternoon. She took the ingots out the mold and started to pile them where the brocken swords pile once was. As she did she counted the Ingots again:
"iron:241, Bronze:278, Copper:218 and left over Tin 27."

She then turned the fire off, cleaned the tools and the workshop and left it to go to the first Wood Workshop from yesterday. The crafter there was happy to see her and started telling her how to make bows.

The first thing to do was to select a Long Branch of solid straight wood. Then you had to shave it on the sides until it was of a regular width from one side to the other, you could test its equilibrium by placing it on a tip as if it was a balancing scale.

Then came the string. Attach it on one sile, wrap the string around the edge several times, put the wrapped edge down on the floor, block it woth your feet, attatch and wrap the string on the upper edge. Test the string by drowing it, when teleased it should make a clear soud. As decoration it is possible to carve or paint the wood before putting the string.

She tried it once. She chose a long branch from an Elastic tree, shaved it into a three finger large and one finger deep with curved angles straight stick and made the middle of the edge thinner so that the string wrap
Doen't bundle.
She put the string and tested its tension by drawing it. it made a sound similar to a guitar cord.
Proud of her work she showed it to the wood master and he told her it was a succes.
She had made her first bow and it was hers to keep. As a reward she received a small Wood Working Toolkit to work even while traveling.

After she left for the second Wood worker and started learning how to make arrows.

The concept was the same: cut a long stick, shave to the desired form, cut small notches to fix feathers at one extremity and another to fix the arrowhead.

According to the master crafter, low cost arrows feare made using fire to harden the tip, youthen just had to sharpn it by grinding the extremity.
By the time she had to logg off, she had made aroud thirty headless arrows.