thirteen

jealousy

refers to the thoughts or feelings of insecurity, fear, and concern over a relative lack of possessions or safety

[not edited]

Dominic wakes up with possibly the strongest hangover he's experienced, and groans getting up from the bed. He notices a glass of water and aspirin on the nightstand, he takes them and wonders if Chiara came by yesterday. Why would she leave without texting me, or leaving a note?

"You're finally up!" Mariana exclaims walking into his room, "I called the school and said you'd be out till next week." He was confused as to why she was at his house.

"Uhm... what happened last night?" he asks running a hand through his hair.

"Well I came over for movie night, and when you wouldn't open the door I used the spare key," she began, "you weren't downstairs, so I came up here and found you crying." Dominic slowly began remembering last night's events. "I saw the bottles, Dom."

Before he could react, the feeling of nausea intensely hit him and rushes to the toilet. Mariana sits down holding his head, while he emptied his stomach. Hot tears spilled from his eyes as futile whimpers for help spilled out among the alcohol he ingested.

"How long?" she asks cleaning him up with a damp towel.

"Hm?" 

"How long has this been going on for?" she asks again, worried. "And don't lie to me like yesterday, not again." 

"A couple of months" he whispers as tears continued to burn his face. Last time Mariana came around, Dominic was clean and seemed truly happy. But suddenly he stopped responding to her texts and calls, which automatically worried her. She knew she came at the right time before this got out of control. 

"Okay" she sighs, "let's get you cleaned up, and then we'll talk." He lightly nods before she leaves him to shower. Going down to his kitchen, she opens his cabinets and finds many empty and full bottles of alcohol. After emptying the bottles and throwing them in the garbage, she cooks for him and sets the table. 

He finishes his shower and headed downstairs.

"Thanks for everything" he mumbles sitting across from her.

"It's nothing," she shakes her head, "eat before it gets cold." They ate in silence before Mariana finally spoke up. "Why are you drinking again?" Dominic doesn't answer her and just keeps eating. She looks down disappointed and keeps eating.

"Chiara" he confesses. "When the school first explained her case I didn't know what to expect, I thought she was like any other patient, but she wasn't. Something about her caught my attention since day one, and I tried to understand her, but look at where that got me." 

"Look, I can tell she's more than just a patient to you, but if she's causing you to drink that means she isn't good for you. I don't know what the two of you do when you're alone, but I don't think you should be around her this much, you might hurt each other."

"No! I'd never hurt her, and she wouldn't either." he snaps. This reaction makes Mariana understand the severity of the situation. When she first saw Chiara, she noticed how seductive she looked; from her posture, all the way to the sound of her voice. But couldn't get past this negative energy she gave off. 

"I think after I leave tomorrow you two need to talk because no matter how many times you deny it, Dominic, you're addicted to her. "

———

Meanwhile, Chiara's sat in her bed the whole day, not knowing what to do with herself. She hadn't slept and neither did her parents due to the constant screaming they heard. Anger wouldn't even describe the emotions she felt last night.

People that knew her would say she was a bully, controlling, and a manipulator. They weren't wrong, but she was also a weak person. Her confidence would arise when others complimented her, gave her attention, and when she controlled them.

Something she'd never admit was jealousy, especially towards Mariana, someone she met less than twenty-four hours ago. Although she knew nothing about her, she was scared. Mariana could've had a different personality that attracted Dominic more than hers. Chiara couldn't lose him. She craved control and took all of it until there was none left.

For the second night in a row, Chiara doesn't sleep and simply stares at nothing waiting for the sun to shine again.