27: Surprising Fili

You can't help but smile as you admire the shiny gold ring on your finger. (See chapter 10 for picture & more info.)

Fili really did find the perfect ring for you. In a way, it fits your personality. You still haven't picked one for him. The wedding is set to happen in a month, leaving you without much time.
As you run your finger over the intricate gold designs on your ring, an idea pops into your mind.

What if I designed a ring that displays the symbol present on both Fili's jacket and on the handle of all his knives? You think. Perfect!

You get to work right away, heading to the armoury to find supplies.

You find an unused sheet of gold and begin cutting out pieces for the ring. Next, you take one piece and form it into a circular shape. You weld the other pieces onto the base of the ring and finish it off with tiny gems positioned in the shape of Fili's symbol.

Satisfied with your work, you decide to find a box for the ring so you can give it to Fili. You find a tiny wooden one that's the perfect size! You carefully place the ring inside and tie it up with a gold hair ribbon from your pocket. After securing the ends in a bow, you run off the find Fili.

•••

You find him just outside the mountain, practicing his axe throwing technique. You smile as you watch Fili skillfully toss one of his throwing axes and lodge it perfectly in the centre of a makeshift target. Fili has his back turned and doesn't appear to notice you. He raises his arm to throw another one, but you interrupt him.

"Fee!" You shout.

He turns around, startled, and just by reflex, throws the axe in your direction. You reach out with one hand and grab the handle, before the blade hits you.

"(Y/N)! I'm sorry! I didn't mean to—" Fili gasps.
"Don't be sorry Fee, it was my bad. I shouldn't have startled you," you smile, tossing the axe over his shoulder and lodging it directly beside the other one, in the centre of the target.

"Anyway, I brought something for you!" Your smile widens as you hand him the box with the gold ribbon.

"For me?" Fili smiles.

"Yes, for you! Go on, open it!" You coerce him, punching Fili playfully in the arm.

"Ok, if you insist," Fili gently unties the ribbon and opens the box.

He looks up at you, then back at the contents of the box, then back at you, "(Y/N), this is beautiful! You made it yourself, didn't you?"

"Yeah, I used the skills you taught me! I realized I hadn't gotten you a wedding ring yet, so I made one. Ita similar to the one you got me, so we can match! But it's unique because it's got your symbol on it!"

"Wow, (Y/N) you've really outdone yourself! It's perfect love," Fili hugs you, kissing your forehead before sliding the ring on his finger.