Chapter 37

Pebble

"We need to talk" he states with his arms crossed over his chest. 

A sigh escapes her lips and she slides off the table carefully as to not wake (c/n). She turns her body to face him. She thanked Satan that the table kept distance between them. Her (e/c) eyes try to search for any clue of what he was going to say.

He licks his lips and places his hands inside his pockets. He looks down at the ground, then back up at her face, then back down at the ground. He wasn't sure what he was going to say and he certainly wanted to make sure whatever he told her wouldn't backfire.

Levi was neurotic. His hands were twitching in his pants pockets and his eyes had trouble staying on her figure. It pained him to see the various purple and blue bruises spread across her delicate face. He finally brings his eyes up to her face.

She wore a striking expression on her face. A mixture of regret, confusion, and grief present. He takes a deep breath in, "You shouldn't have run off like that."

"I saw the opportunity and I took it" (Y/n) says and she adjusts the sling's fabric around her neck, "I'm sorry that I didn't warn you."

"You would have still gone even if I told you to wait," Levi retorts, "You've always been the type of person to do whatever you wanted. Tell me, did you leave thinking that you wouldn't be able to come back?"

She smiles sadly down at the ground, "I made sure to memorize the way your eyes shined in the moonlight because I wanted it to be the last thing I saw before I died. Levi, I'm going to tell you the truth because I can't lie to you."

"I went there hoping and accepting that he will drag me through the endless darkness" she confesses and she looks at his blank expression. One tear slips down her right cheek and then the next down her left cheek. Tears fall down one by one onto the ground leaving a  lasting pitter-patter sound.

"I wanted to die" she chokes out. She closes her eyes in shame as the tears spill out with her sorrow. Sobs escape her lips as she tries to control her emotions, "But I thought of you and I wanted to live long enough to see you again so I can tell you-"

"Tell me what?" he states and her body becomes paralyze when he stands before her. The table was no longer in between them for safety and she didn't know if she could finish her sentence. She didn't know how he will react.

"I wanted to tell you..." (Y/n) whispers as she locks her eyes onto his. Her heart hammers in her chest. She felt like it could stop at any second. She bites her inner cheek, "I wanted to show my gratitude for everything you've done for me."

Levi narrows his eyes at her figure. Her right eyebrow didn't twitch, however, he knew there was more behind what she wanted to really say to him. He scoffs at her, "You're the most selfish person I've ever met."

"Always thinking that your way is the only way to deal with things. Always being impatient and running head-on. Never caring about how others will feel when you actually die," his voice roughens as he glares at her. (Y/n) cringes at the tone of his voice.

"Tell me, (Y/n), when will you learn that you're not the only one with problems here? When will you understand that if you were to die then it will affect everyone here, even me?" he continues and he slams his hands on the table causing her to jump at the sound.

"I'm tired of always having to worry about whether you're alive or not. Of caring for you when all you do is destroy yourself. I can't pick up the pieces for you, that's something you have to do for yourself."

"Stop using everyone around you to help the pain go away. You used Eld, then Ymir, and now who's next? Who are you going to pick to push your pain on? Are you simply attracted to the idea of having someone next to you so you won't feel alone? Do you find comfort knowing that someone will be there to mourn you?"