⇢ CHAPTER 4

season 4 episode 7

"The E.R. can be a candy store." Cristina told her interns as they entered the E.R., "You've got car crashes, impalements." She stopped by a nurse, "What do you got?"

"Sprained ankle and an infected bunion." The nurse read off of her chart as she pointed behind her.

"It can also strip you of your will to live." Cristina added, "Okay, go, troll, find me something good."

Holly turned to Lexie as the other interns began to walk away. Seeing the hesitance in her eyes, Holly nudged her forward and Lexie continued to walk to their resident, "Dr. Yang."

"Yeah." Their resident turned around to face Lexie.

"Has Meredith said anything to you about me?" Lexie asked as Holly stepped to the side, watching the exchange, "'Cause she's been avoiding me for days."

"You know," Cristina recalled, "what did I say to you about talking to me about your personal life?" 

"Help!" A woman yelled as she walked into the E.R. hospital entrance with a baby in her arms-- Holly, Cristina, and Lexie rushed forward, "My--My baby. I-I was carrying her down the stairs and I fell," Holly handed Cristina and Lexie gloves, "and she hit her head. She was crying in the car, and now she's not crying anymore."

"Ma'am." Cristina walked towards the woman.

"I'm too scared to look. Someone please tell me my baby's alive."

"Okay," Cristina nodded, reaching for the infant, "let me have the baby--"

"She can't be dead," The woman hysterically cried, "right? You don't die from just falling down the stairs. She's--"

"Please," Cristina pleaded, "let me help. Let me help. I'll take the baby. That's fine. Okay." Cristina grabbed the baby from the woman and placed it on a trauma bed as the woman cried.

"Oh, my God."

Cristina removed her stethoscope from neck as she checked the baby's lungs, "She's breathing." She looked at her two interns, "Her fontanelle feels tense. She's lethargic. Take her to trauma two and page Shepherd."

"Your baby has a slight brain contusion." Dr. Shepherd explained to the father of the baby since his wife had fell unconscious after passing her baby, "Her brain's bruised. It's minor. But I'd like to keep her here for observation."

"I-I gotta tell you, Dr. Shepherd," The father admitted, "I'm listening to you, but I'm not hearing anything you're saying. Dr. Hahn is taking my wife into surgery right now, and I need to go be with her. You know what you're doing. G-Go ahead and do it. I need to go be with my wife." 

The father began to walk away before Holly stepped forward, "Wait." She called out, "W-What's your daughter's name?" 

"She doesn't have one yet." The father sighed, "We just adopted her a week ago, just been trying to get to know her."