42|| Following The Aurora

It didn't take long for the police to find their way to the farm house and it took even less time for the news vans to arrive. Soon the abandoned house was swarming with people. Meaning it was time the group of heroes took their leave.

The thick grey clouds began to part, giving way to the morning sun. The group had driven to a quiet stretch off road not too far from the house, but far enough away that no wandering news reporters would find them.

And for a moment, it was peaceful. Everyone was standing around, tired smiles on their faces as they talked. Gar was the only one who still seemed out of it. Even though Rachel had healed some of his wounds his face was still littered in cuts and dark bruises.

"I gotta give it to you Rach," Dawn spoke with a warm smile, "you really know how to throw a party." She was leaning against the back of the old station wagon that the group had been using. Hank was leaning beside her, keeping pressure off of the leg Sophie had injured.

"Yeah, let's do it again." Jason smirked at Rachel. "I love kicking Dick's ass."

Dick scoffed and tossed his duffel bag over his shoulder. "Keep dreaming, bird boy." he playful punched Jason's shoulder as he walked past him.

"Nice one, real inventive." Jason scoffed.

Dick pulled open the door to Donna's jeep and tossed his bag inside. "I'll be here all week."

Sophie chuckled and looked over at Barbara. She was stifling her own giggles as she watched Dick walk off. Her and Dick had a moment to talk at the farm house, it was brief but it seemed like both of them were ok with everything that had happened.

Sophie just hoped Barbara was really ok with whatever was going on between her and Dick. She didn't want to hurt her, especially after everything she had done for her these past few months.

"But maybe give us a heads up next time," Donna looked over at Rachel, "so I can do my own eye makeup. You're demon dad wasn't much for subtlety."

"Really," Kori piped up, catching Donna's attention. "I kinda liked the whole Gothic look." She smirked.

"Uh, I didn't." Gar spoke but his voice was gravely and quiet.

"Yeah, I wasn't too fond of it myself." Sophie playfully bumped her shoulder against Rachel's.

"Yeah." Hank scratched the back of his head as he looked between Gar and Sophie. "Again, we're really sorry."

Gar shrugged slightly. "No, it's cool."

Sophie nodded in agreement. "You guys weren't yourselves."

"Actually," Donna looked over at her, "how come you weren't affected?"

Sophie pressed her lips into a straight line and shrugged. "I don't know, maybe I just got lucky."

Kori scoffed and a smirk pulled at her lips. "I doubt luck had anything to do with it." Sophie chuckled and a genuine smile spread across Kori's lips.

Sophie listened to the conversation a little longer before she broke off from the group, and walked over to Dick.

He was fiddling with the Jeeps radiator. He glanced up at the sound of her nearly silent footsteps and smiled. "Hey."

She leaned against the hood of the jeep and smiled softly. "Hey."

He stopped messing with the car and wiped his hands off on a small rag. "How are you feeling?"

"That's a big question with a really complicated answer." She scoffed before meeting his eyes. "But i'll be ok." Dick nodded and for a moment a comfortable silence settled between them.