Chapter 32

Tony’s POV

“Goodnight mijo.”

“Night ma.”

My mom kisses me on the forehead before heading out to work. She picked up a second job, cleaning businesses on the West Side on Friday nights. She leaves at 11pm and gets back at 5am. It’s not much but it gives us extra cash, especially since I’m not in Pandilla anymore.

I slip my shirt off then crawl in bed.

Donny and I are coming over. We should be there in 5 minutes.

Now? Why are they coming over now? I don’t want to say no so I text her back:

Okay mamas. See you in a bit.

I throw the covers off me then go to check on Emily. I thought she was sleeping but she’s reading to herself.

“Hey bella.” I sit on her bed.

“Hi TT.” She leans her head gently on my arm. The book falls out of her arms and she yawns and closes her eyes

I stroke her hair with my hand. “Donny and Evie are gonna come over in a few minutes. They’re probably gonna spend the night.”

Suddenly, all the sleep is gone from her eyes and she’s smiling.

“Yesss!”

I laugh then quiet her down. “It’s late though Em. I know you love Donny but it’s already past your bedtime. You can talk to him a little but I want you to go to sleep when I tell you to okay?”

She nods. “But where is Donny gonna sleep?”

“Maybe he can sleep in here with you?” I shrug.

“Um.” Emily gets nervous. “Mama said that boys and girls can only sleep together in the same bed if they’re gonna have a baby. Me and Donny are not gonna have a baby.”

I laugh. “Okay. Maybe you guys can have a slumber party in the living room okay?”

“Yess!” She starts scooping blankets and pillows off her bed and I move out of the way so she can start setting up the living room.

We’re here.

I open the door to find Evie and Donny standing in front of me. Evie looks super stressed and Donny’s eyes are puffy. I bend down and hug Donny real quick.

“You okay little man?”

“Yeah.” He holds me tight. “My mom and Evie got in a fight.” I look up at Evie.

I’ll explain late, she mouths.

I let go of Donny. “Emily is setting up a sleepover in the living room for you. You wanna go see?”

“Yes please.” Donny walks past me and soon I hear him and Emily laughing.

“You wanna come in mamas?

“Yeah.” Evie walks in and I close the door behind her.

“Not that I mind you guys coming over, but what happened Evie? I’m normally the one who needs you at random hours.”

Evie avoids my question and instead heads to my room, flops on my bed, and buries her head in my pillow.

I get in the bed beside her and start playing with her hair.

“Do you wanna talk about it?”

“My moth ith slutthing with ha both.”

“What? I can’t understand you mamas.