23. SENATOR WEST

23. SENATOR WEST

ANOTHER DAY, ANOTHER CHANCE to save lives

That's not Elijah's motto but it might as well be. As he stands in the pit of Charlotte General, his eyes trained on the stack of charts under him, he's barely registering his surroundings.

He signs off as many discharge papers as he has to, but his mind isn't really there. Instead, his mind wanders back to the weekend when he spent time with Aliyah, his best friend.

He helped take out her braids, fed her, watched movies with her, washed her hair. If that doesn't scream domestic, he doesn't know what does.

However, it wasn't hard for him to say that he misses her ━ holding her in his arms as she fell asleep on top of him, yet another movie on the television.

He barely slept that night, his eyes moreso focused on her, thoughts flooding his mind erratically. There was only one thought that he could make out as clear as day.

She's beautiful ━ even with her silk-lined bright yellow bonnet covering the plaits that he watched her do. Even her soft snores had him completely enamored with her. That night, she was latched on to him like a leech ━ her arms tightening around his waist whenever he shifted.

Finally, he'd dozed off but not before pressing a sweet kiss on top of her bonnet.

And now?

Now, Elijah is annoyed at the fact that he's stuck at work when he could be out having lunch with her at their spot. However, they both seemed to be busy.

Elijah has three papers left to sign ━ three more then he can go take a nap before he has to prep for his seven-hour surgery.

However, it seemed like everyone in the hospital had a different idea. The usual chatter from everyone in the pit is toned down to harsh whispers as people shift their gazes to the entrance. Even patients are sitting up in their beds.

"I really don't have the time for this," Elijah whispers to himself as he signs yet another sheet, handing it off to one of the residents behind the nurse's station.

"Is that Senator West?" A voice questions from the crowd of people in the area, "I heard she's running for a second term."

Finally, upon hearing those particular words, Elijah pivots on his heels to see the familiar face.