seven: darius's conditions

Darius

"Can we please have a proper conversation without you pinning me against the wall?" she asked.

"Nope." I popped the 'p' deliberately.

She huffed. "There will be no touching! No physical contact of any form!"

I took a step away from her.

"Got it."

"I won't touch you unless you beg me to."

-----

Cara

Excuse me? Unless I begged?! Someone needed to knock Darius off his high horse! I didn't need him to touch me! Much less beg for it! Unbelievable! Was I really engaged to someone so... crass?

"Never in a million years!" I huffed.

But Darius was already out of earshot.

"Where are you going?" It was hard to keep up with him in the mermaid gown. I lifted the hem and scurried after him as he led us down the long hallway. Darius threw me a glance.

"I would help you with that, but I'm not allowed to touch you," he smirked.

Like a child, I snorted in response.

"Let's announce the good news to the old geezers. I'm sure they'll be delighted... hopefully one of them gets a heart attack," he muttered the last bit under his breath.

I must have gotten used to waddling because it was strangely easier to keep up with him now.

That, or he slowed down for me.

It was the waddling.

I was sure of it.

"There's something I don't understand," I asked, "Why me? I'm sure there are plenty of wealthy heiresses who are less opposed to this arrangement."

"That's true. But I'm certain none of them are as charming as you," he mused.

"Be serious."

"I am serious."

"Darius."

"Cara."

I sighed. How could someone so childish be the CEO of the Clemonte empire?

"All investments involve some degree of risk, Cara. In a sense, the Jefferson's are the least harmless of the lot. You just need us to keep your small company afloat in return."

We've somehow arrived in front of the grand dining room again.

"After you." Darius held the door open for me.  I took a deep breath and steadied myself. I was not ready to face my father again. Darius lowered his gaze - he seemed to have noticed my hesitance.

"I'm sorry," he whispered. There was that sincerity in his voice again. What was he sorry for? I agreed to it on my own accord. Right?

"Cara..." my stomach churned at the sound of my father's voice.

"You're back. Did you two have a good talk about it?" he sounded so hopeful that it disgusted me. It was as if everything I told him fell on deaf ears. He still wanted me to go through with it. I couldn't bear to even look at him.

I opened my mouth but Darius beat me to it.

"You've got your wish, Mr Jefferson. Your company is saved." How could someone sound so courteous yet sarcastic at the same time? Darius took a step in front of me and shielded me with his broad shoulders.