°Losing your job°

'Good morning, baby' Kaycee smiled, her morning voice groggy and raspy. She giggled to herself, cupping his cheeks before planting a kiss onto his lips.

'Go to sleep. I'm tired' he whined, squeezing her waist, and sticking out his bottom lip.

'We've got to go to work, you dork' Kaycee whispered, trailing her fingers over his plump lips. 'Come on, we can cuddle when we get back'.

The mention of 'job' made Sean frown, biting the inside of his lip. It happened two weeks ago, his manager was moving his business elsewhere, and all the employees had to lose their job as a result. It wasn't fair in Sean's opinion. He didn't start working only to be fired. And the worst part of it all, was that he never told Kaycee, or anyone for that matter. Everyone always saw him as an inspiration, someone who was successful. And just the thought of people disapproving of him now was embarrassing. So he decided to keep it a secret until he could find a new job, one that would be more permanent. But until then, he was slowly starting to fall into a pitfall of doubt and stress.

'I'll drive you' Kaycee offered, jumping out of bed and pulling her work jeans on.

'No' Sean blurred out too suddenly. 'I mean, I think I'm going to take the bus today'.

'I don't mind driving you, though' she chortled, sitting on the bed beside Sean, buttoning up her shirt.

'I know, but I already told a friend that I'd take the bus with them today' he lied, unbuttoning every button that she had just clasped shut.

'Stop it' she laughed, punching his shoulder playfully. 'Cereal for breakfast?'

Sean nodded at her, sitting up straighter and pressing a long kiss to the base of her neck.

'Don't start' she warned, pushing him away lightly. He pouted needingly, batting his eyes and forcing a dimple to pop out. 'Lewser' she laughed, standing up and walking out of their room.

He sighed, sinking into his sheets. What he'd do to just get a job. He pondered on his thoughts a little bit longer, pulling away the cover and climbing out of bed to change into his fake work clothes, which consisted of somewhat tight-fitted trousers, a white button up shirt and black runners. He quickly brushed his teeth, combing his hair through with his fingers before walking downstairs to his wife.

'Finally, took you long enough' she teased, passing him a bowl of cereal.

'A man needs his time' he laughed, scooping a spoon and plopping it into his mouth. The two ate in silence like their usual mornings, Kaycee finishing up first and loading her bowl into the dishwasher.

'I need to head out. See you later, baby' she said, pecking his lips and slinging her bag over her shoulder.

'Bye' he said one last time. As soon as she had pulled out of the driveway in her car. he jumped onto the couch, scrolling through his phone for new job updates even if they were part time jobs. Anything. At this point, he just wanted anything.

And this is what he did for two hours, scrolling mindlessly through his phone and laptop for notifications. He even read the daily paper which was laid on the coffee table. He was too consumed on his thoughts that he didn't hear a car pull up, the front door opening up moments later.

'Sean?' Kaycee called out, her voice making Sean flinch and fall off the couch. 'What are you doing here?'

'I could ask you the same thing' he chuckled awkwardly, quickly closing all the tabs on his phone and shutting the newspaper. 'Coffee?'

'Don't change the subject' she warned, setting her bag down on the staircase.

'I-uh I left work early' he mumbled, turning his back on her. 'Why are you here so early?'

'I finished my credit post so my boss that I could leave early.' She replied stunned, arms crossed above her chest.

'Great. Now we-uh can cuddle' he suggested, walking past her and up the stairs.

'Sean Charles Lew!' She shouted, running up to catch up with him. Something was wrong.

'Kaycee Caitlin Lew' he shouted back, hiding under the duvet.

'Sean, baby. Why are you not at work?' She asked again, softer this time.

'I called in uh-sick. Didn't feel well' he stuttered, peeping up from the covers.

'Don't lie to me. You know that I don't like that' she whispered, brushing her fingers through his hair.

'I'm sorry' he murmured, sitting up straight and pulling Kaycee onto his lap.

'It's okay...what happened?

'I really sorry' he whispered again, louder this time. Eyes glossing over, as tears threatened to fall.

'Talk to me, Shamu'.

'I-uh I lost my job' he whimpered, his tears trickling down his cheeks freely as he pulled Kaycee onto him closer.

'Really?' She asked softly, caressing his skin and rubbing away the drops that fell down. He nodded his head, apologizing over and over again for losing his job.

'It's okay, baby. Shh. It's okay. How long?'

'T-two weeks. I'm sorry' he cried, releasing Kaycee and pulling at his own hair in frustration. Frustrated that he couldn't find a new job. And frustrated at himself for not telling Kaycee sooner.

'Hey, shh. It's okay' she comforted, grabbing his hands and intertwining their hands together.

'I'm sorry I didn't tell you' Sean cried, surprised at how she was taking this situation.

'Why didn't you tell me?' She asked nicely, brushing her lips on his to show that she wasn't in fact mad.

'Be-because everyone thinks I'm some sort of successful human, but I amn't. I just lost my job, Kayc. I didn't want you to be disappointed in me. I tried finding jobs, I really did. But none of them were for me. You're so amazing, Kayc, and I never want you to fall back because of me' he explained, squeezing her waist and hands as he expressed all of his emotions bottled up inside of him.

'Baby. I'm not disappointed, I could never. It's okay, everything will be okay. You don't have to be someone you're not in front of me' she consoled, rubbing his arm soothingly.

'I let you down' he whimpered, his cries turning into small hiccups.

'No, you didn't... come on, let's cuddle and watch a movie downstairs, yeah?'. He nodded his head, controlling his heavy breathing and wiping his bloodshot eyes. 

'I love you' Kaycee smiled, her lips an inch away from Sean's.

'I love you, too. Thank you, baby"

AN| HEY GUYS 👋! HOW ARE Y'ALL?

I HOPE YOU GUYS ENJOYED THIS SHORT STORY. I HAD ALOT OF FUN WRITING IT.

THANK YOU GUYS SM FOR 29K+ READS ON 'GOT IT'. 9K READS IN THIS BOOK. AND 10K+ READS ON 'CANT HELP FALLING ON LOVE'. THANK YOU🥰🙏

❤️❤️❤️

MAKE SURE TO COMMENT, VOTE, FOLLOW AND SHARE

LOVE YOU GUYS,

XXX