029 | back in detention

▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬

FRED WAS IN GOOD SPIRITS when the girls made their way over to him in the Hospital Wing. Most of the beds were occupied, though Albany supposed she shouldn't have been surprised. The cold seemed to run rampant around the end of term, and stress headaches and the like due to exams landed a decent number of students under Madam Pomfrey's care.

The redhead's face wasn't half as puffy or red as it had been earlier. He waved enthusiastically over at Albany and Carly as he spotted them, donning what seemed to be a bubbling pale green paste as a face mask. He was sitting up on his bed, George and Lee on either side of him, and judging by the cheesy grins the three wore, there was only one thing they could have been discussing.

"If I have to hear so much as one injury or spell related pun, I will turn around and leave," Albany threatened as she approached.

"What Albany means is she was worried about you, Fred," Carly chimed in with a bright smile.

"Of course she was!" Fred agreed cheerfully, shooting the Slytherin a mischievous wink. "And Allie, it's time to face the music—"

"Because you're injured," Albany interrupted, face-palming, "because you're injured I'll give you one pun. But now you've used it, so no more."

"Don't jinx yourself—"

"And I'm going," Albany said, turning and pretending to head back toward the door.

"No! Come back, I'm sorry!" Fred called, laughing, and she sighed, reluctantly returning.

"You are impossible," she groaned.

"On the contrary, I'd say we're very much possible," George teased, grinning like a shark.

"There's very little we can't do," Fred agreed.

"Except get past Dumbledore's Age Line," Lee added helpfully, and the twins shot him playfully unamused stares. "Just kidding! Well... not really."

"How are you?" Carly asked Fred suddenly, bringing an end — however brief it would be — to the jokes.

Fred closed his eyes and smiled as he massaged the sticky paste into his swollen face. "Pretty hot," he said contentedly, opening his eyes again. "It was a Stinging Jinx that hit me, apparently, and it hurt like hell — but this stuff is numbing so I'm all good."

Carly giggled at his cheesy smile and thumbs up. "I am happy you are okay," she said cheerfully.

The doors of the Hospital Wing slammed open.

The group jumped, as did several other students, at the disturbance. Madam Pomfrey glared in the direction of the perpetrators. Angelina Johnson stood fuming in the doorway, her resemblance to an angry bull uncanny as her eyes locked onto the injured Weasley twin. Alicia was behind her, smiling a little sheepishly as she scratched at the back of her head in embarrassment.