Chapter 28 - Playground (ii)

You trudged slowly over to the road, eyes scanning the ground for a doll, or anything that looked like one. There was a chance that it may not be around any longer, for example someone may have picked it up and thrown it into the trash, or a car could have ran over it causing it to fly into drainage, all sorts of things. 

"Where are you going now?" Jin asked.

"We need to find that doll. That's what I suspect is keeping her here," you replied keeping your eyes on the stretch of road.

Instead of questioning further, Jin followed turning now and then over his shoulder to the strange girl on the swing that watched on with a dead stare. He shivered despite the warm coat he had on, feeling greatly uncomfortable. He'd been possessed once before, that you would think seeing a ghost right in front of you would be normal. It did not feel normal for him by any means. 

You stepped onto the side of the road, being careful not to get too near the traffic as it passed by. Without warning your breath caught in your throat as a bright light flashed before your vision, an image being engraved behind your eyes as it faded as quick as it had appeared.

It had been of a small body lying still in the road, a pool of blood around her head and on her clothes, one of her legs bent at an unnatural angle. And if you had made it out correctly, something resembling similar to a doll lying next to her.

With the suddenness of it all, you recoiled your steps in shock, your left heel clipping the curb behind. You would have fallen onto your behind if not for the pair of arms that enveloped you, keeping you upright. You turned your head to see Jin with a fluid rise of his right eyebrow, a stray strand of hair falling over his eye as he looked down at you.

He held you long enough for the warmth from his body into seep into your own. The look in his eyes melting into a warm chocolatey smoulder before it evaporated, leaving his usual overcritical stare in place.

"I don't pick up my pace to save just anyone I hope you realise," he commented, releasing you somewhat reluctantly. 

Eh, well its not like it would have been fatal anyways. I would have just fallen on my ass. You thought back to him.

You mumbled a quick 'thank you' and had the urge to slap yourself out of the weird feeling that had fluttered in your stomach and had your heart momentarily racing. 

That whole vision had acted just like the way your ' gift' worked. Just like the time a while ago when you had gone to the morgue with Jackson and touched the nurse's skin, triggering a vision in your mind. Confused with this incident however, you realised that you hadn't touched anything, and it had come out of nowhere this time. Strange...

The dizziness dissipating quickly, you looked over to the part of the road you had seen the body, and made your way slowly over. Spotting something small in the middle of the road, you began to squint. 

Sitting upright like it was alive, was the doll. With its beady shiny black button eyes and stitched grin it seemed to draw you over to it, beckoning you to pick it up. 

So this was the dead girl's game. Did she think you were stupid? You weren't a child about to run into the multi-lane road and get hit by a car. As an adult aware of your surroundings you could easily judge when and when not to walk across to it, avoiding oncoming vehicles. Well, you hoped you were at least. 

As you stepped out again, Jin's hand reached out to stop you, absentmindedly hovering in mid air wondering what was going through your head to cross the busy road, until he too spotted the doll.