Chapter 13

Dread and defeat wash over me as I drive up the familiar street towards the house I’d come to know as my home. From the outside, I can make out indistinguishable chatter which grows louder as I draw near. The tense chatter seizes the moment my presence is made known. A small group of people are assembled inside, most faces familiar while others were new to the eye. I feel their burning gazes the moment I enter through the room. I hang my head in shame, unable to meet their eyes fearing what I would see reflected back.

Pain…disappointment…betrayal…anger…hurt.

My suspicion refuses to free me from my guilt.

“Luna, we haven’t been formally introduced. I’m Jasper, your mate’s brother and Beta of the Lycan Blood pack...your pack.” A man I recognized from my former meeting with my mate comes up to me.

“Hi. I…where’s Grey? He said to meet him here.” I stutter nervously.

“He told me to inform you that he will be with you shortly. I think it's best you use this opportunity to say your proper goodbyes to your family and friend. You won’t be afforded much time the minute he gets here.”

I simply nod, doing my best to will back the tears that are on the verge of release. I catch sight of my mother coming up to me the moment I look up from my feet. She wordlessly embraces me, her touch bringing me to my undoing. The thought of possibly never getting to see her again sends a lethal impact crushing down on my heart. I sob quietly into her arms, the world around us falling away as I find solace in her warmth.

I feel his towering presence the moment he steps through the threshold. Then comes his voice.

“Go get your things. We are leaving in a few minutes. Take only what you need, we are already behind schedule.”

I am forced to detach from the warmth of my mother’s comforting arms.

“I did not pack my stuff nor did I properly bid my family and friends goodbye. You can’t do this.” I glare daggers at him as he approaches.

“You should have thought of that when you decided to run away. You have ten minutes, make it count.” He whispers into my ear making me shiver involuntarily.

“Where is Xander? I want to see him. So, help me if you killed him, I will…”

“You will what?” He challenges, daring me to take a stand against him.

I swallow the lump in my throat, knowing I stood no chance against him. He could end me at the snap of a finger, without so much as a breaking a sweat.

“Alexander should be the least of your worries right now.” He continues, his tone menacing.

Reluctantly I go up to my room, my mother trailing behind me. In the confides of my room, away from the piercing stares of the crowd,  I allow myself to let my emotions get the best of me as I finally immerse myself in my overwhelming emotional turmoil. I sob hysterically into my mother’s arms wanting nothing but to turn back the wheels of time to the days were happiness reigned in abundance.

A gentle knock sounds, almost fading in the background.

“Come in.” My mother whispers.

Samantha peeks through, her steps cautious, almost hesitant.

“I’ll give you two a moment alone.” My mother steps out of the room leaving us to talk.

***

“Sam, I…” I begin but she cuts me off.

“I saw your letter. I can’t believe you were going to ghost me like that. I’m high key in my feelings right now.” She mutters, her arms crossed at her chest.

“I know. I’m a terrible friend. I guess I was just trying to protect you.”

“Protect me?” She scoffs. “What about Xander? Did you not think about protecting him? His ass almost went halfway through the morgue.”

I knew she was right. I had been so consumed by own selfish needs that I did not stop to really ponder on the grave threat I was putting him under. I had put a target on his back the moment I dragged him into all this.

“Real talk. What you did was crazy. I get where you were coming from but it was still pretty dumb. Do you know nothing about your mate? You could have at least thought this through, I could have helped.” She continues at my lack of response.

“Sam, I love you but you are the least subtle person I know. Your 'I have a secret' vibe is literally visible from the moon.”

“True but still you should have at least shown a little trust in me.” There is a faint sadness in her tone.

“I know and I’m sorry. The last thing I want is to leave here knowing you are still mad at me. This may very well be the last we see of each other. I don't want this to be the last memory of our time together.”

“Uhm, pull back. This will definitely not be the last we see of each other. I will deadass drive all the way up to Lycan Blood territory, wherever that shit is, and come find you. Big bad Alpha will just have to deal with it. Sorry, not sorry.”

Though I had no reason to, I found myself smiling at my best friend’s optimism.

“Besides, we will face time every single day otherwise I’ll lose my sanity. I love Xander but he can be pain in my ass sometimes. Plus, no one gets me like you do.” She adds.

“Take care of him for me, will you? Tell him I’m sorry for everything I put him through. If I could do things differently, I would have never dragged him into my mess. It was selfish of me and I’ll never live down the regret I feel for what Grey did to him because of me.”

I didn’t know if I would get the chance to say goodbye to him, though still hopeful I could guilt Grey into letting me see him.

“Please, that boy would do things exactly the same way if it came to. He is a bit crazy about you in case you hadn’t noticed. I mean who can blame him? You my darling friend are the total package. I hope you never forget that, despite how hard things may get, alright?”

“I love you.” I wrap my arms around her, tears freely flowing from my bloodshot eyes.

“I love you too cupcake. I should go before you know who comes budging in here like the hulk.”

We share yet another tear stained short lived laugh. She playfully nudges at me to let go though I can see through her façade. Beyond the veil of humour and playfulness was a deep sadness. I appreciated that she was putting up a strong front for me, I loved her more so for it because I needed it.

My mother comes back in the moment Sam exits, Ben trailing closely behind. Ben’s anger and sorrow radiates in his frantic movements as he gathers all my luggage. He may not be my biological father but I know he loves me as his own. I can only imagine what he is going through, having to watch on helplessly as another man forcefully takes his daughter away from her home.

It dawns on me just how much I would be losing because of Grey’s selfishness. They say a mate is supposed to love, cherish and protect you yet this doesn’t feel like love, rather a sick need for ownership. He seeks to make me his possession not his companion.

“It’s time to go.” He comes barging through the door.

His words twist the dagger lodged deep within my heart. The tears come rushing out, this time even more forceful than the last. I want to scream out to him to leave me alone, to go to hell but the words fail me. I draw shallow breaths trying not to drown in my own tears. My sorrow-filled sobs resonate throughout the walls of my room.

I feel his hands on me as he picks me up bridal style. The tingles erupt. I flinch away from his touch but that causes him to hold me even tighter. His touch, a chilling burn that sends venom to my every nerve ending. I reach out my hand for someone to save me from my tragic fate but no help comes. My frail heart laments, a sad song that echoes through the hearts of my loved one’s whom I leave behind.

Fate affords no mercy. In its wake follows only tragedy and sorrow. Woe to all that is beyond our control, for it strips us off our free will.