Chapter 38

Don't forget to read chap. 37 first, babes😁

Arthur's p.o.v

I wake up from my deep slumber by the small snores close to my ears and it's none other than Jake. A smile finds its way to my face when I look down and see his arm around my waist. We were cuddling last night and he somehow ended up being the big spoon.

Last night, a lot went down and none of it was pretty. Jake being drugged wasn't something I ever thought about, I never saw that one coming and it hit me like a truck when I found out. It was all bad, he kept vomiting and I tried my hardest to get some out of his system. It appeared that he was given too much and he had a bad reaction.

I did everything I could to get him to rest and it was three in the morning when he finally closed his eyes. I, on the other hand, was up the whole night making phone calls to get that place shut down. If I have to throw Candy behind bars to keep Jake safe and not to see her again, I definitely will. I don't want toxic people around us.

Carefully, I lift his hand up not to wake him up and turn around on the bed so I can face him. When I do so, I put his arm right back where it was before and place mine around his waist to pull him a little closer.

I move his hair away to reveal his face and I stare at him attentively. How could anyone possibly hurt all this. He's beautiful, inside and out. He's never done anything to hurt anyone and still she had the audacity to push some pills down his throat. I sigh and shake my head, I'm here now and that will never happen again.

After a while of just me staring at the gem I've come to know, I take a deep shaky breath when his eyes flutter a little causing my heart to skip a beat. It's been doing that a lot lately. Every small thing Jake does makes me feel warmer than usual.

He stretches his arms as he tries to open his eyes and I follow his every movement. If Jake wasn't a human, he'd surely be a cat. He rubs his eyes to get rid of the sleep and when he finally opens them our eyes connect with each other. We stare into each other's eyes until he giggles and I chuckle softly.

"Hi" he whispers shyly biting his bottom lip.

"Hey" I reply checking him out. He looks around on the bed and pouts.

"Sorry for taking your side of the bed again" he tells me softly and I pull his leg on top of me to make it easier for when I want him to get on top.

"It's aight, I'm used to it and I can't sleep when you don't" I tell him truthfully as he taps his finger on my chin.

"Me n-neither, my side feels lonely and cold" he whispers and I pull his head up to peck his lips that he's been biting for too long.

"I'm glad I could help."

"Your voice is so much deeper in the morning" he lets me know and my eyebrows go up.

"You like it?" I ask and he nods, but instantly tries to hide his face by pressing it on my chest.

"I do, but your normal one is so much cooler. I love that one" he admits and I hum at that.

Moments later of just chilling and laying around, I sit up to ask him what I've been dying to know, "you know what happened yesterday?"

When he hears that he looks away trying to avoid eye-contact and I make him look at me by moving his chin with my finger, "I know you went to work without telling me. I wanna know what happened when you got there."

"Uhm..."he starts and lowers his head, "Candy was being mean...and she uhm, she made me swallow more candy than usual and it made me very dizzy. It normally makes me happy, but it didn't yesterday. I thought I fainted, but I'm here."