•C h a p t e r F o r t y - T w o•

Songs for chapter forty two: 1

1. This Love by Taylor Swift
2. Say You Won't Let Go by James Arthur

|Skyler|

~Little over a month later~

"It's so fucking cold," Ryan complained when we stepped out of Aden's car. He was already dressed in a thick winter coat, a scarf and a two pairs of pants — according to him anyway.

The snow had finally fallen in New York City, and it seemed like I was the only nerd who was ecstatic for it. Back home, snow fell in early November or sometimes earlier. I'd just about pulled out my hair waiting for it. Everyone else begged to differ though.

The month had passed by in a smooth bliss, almost to the point where I could barely believe it myself. McKenna had disappeared, even though she still went to Cypress High, you wouldn't even know she existed. Doctor Miranda was satisfied with our sessions that I ended up not even touching the anti depressants she'd prescribed months ago.

"Stop being so dramatic," Josie shot him a teasing glare that he returned even though I could almost see her own teeth chattering.

"How am I being dramatic? It's like 14 degrees!" he grumbled.

I looked at Aden, my eyebrows furrowed slightly. It was way colder than that. "14 degrees..."

"Fahrenheit," Aden confirmed.

Who uses Fahrenheit anyways? I speak Celsius.

"It's not that cold, we'll be fine," I told him. I didn't actually know the conversion to Celsius.

"Says you, Canada," Josie smirked and I narrowed my eyes at her.

"Who's idea was it to go on a sledding double date?" Ryan raised an eyebrow as he looked between Aden, Josie and I while we walked towards the large hill from the parking lot. Aden and Ryan dragged the sleds behind them as we walked and they screeched as they rubbed against the concrete.

Technically, this wasn't just a normal date, it was our small celebration of Christmas since all of us would be with our families that day, and me with Aunt Claire.

It would be weird and heartbreaking to spend Christmas without my mom, but I knew I would be able to get through it with everyone I had with me now. I wouldn't be alone.

"Yours," the three of us pointed out simultaneously and he gave us a sheepish smile. We made it to the top of the hill and Josie peered down. She was the only one out of all of us who'd never gone before. Aden stepped behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist, planting a soft kiss on my cheek as we waited for Josie and Ryan to get on their sled.