{14}

The restaurant was quiet that afternoon. Brie found herself repeatedly cleaning the same spots and standing behind the counter with nothing else to do.

Seeing as they hadn't had customers in a couple of hours, Kiara's dad had let the kitchen staff go home. Unfortunately this meant that Brie was all by herself, and would also have to cook if anyone came in.

She didnt mind the whole being by herself part, but cooking was not the most enjoyable thing when you were a vegetarian living by the water.

She wasn't too bothered about cooking meat, she used to cook it all the time for her family, but fish was a whole different story. I mean, the stuff reeked. And it seemed to be all anyone ordered.

The bell above the door dinged. She sighed, preparing herself to deal with customers. She turned and a group of teenage boys waltzed in. Great.

"Hey, guys," she plastered on a fake smile and added the sweet customer service tone to her voice, "What can I do for you?"

The boys had the typical reaction of looking at each other, smirking and snickering. It took everything in her not to roll her eyes. One boys stepped forward and gave her a surprisingly genuine smile.

He had dark, curly hair and tan skin, with golden brown eyes that shone in the lights of the restaurant and freckles covered his nose and cheeks. He was sort of cute.

"We were looking to get five portions of fries," he said, pushing his tounge against the side of his cheek. "And some beers."

Now it was her turn to smirk.

"No offence," she said, "But you guys dont look twenty one to me."

He chuckled and shook his head. Okay, he really was cute.

"Would you believe me if I said I looked young for my age?" He asked with a charming smile.

She hummed and smiled back at him, leaning over the counter further so that her face was even closer to his.

"Not a chance," she whispered, "How about you boys take a seat and I'll bring over your fries and some cans of soda?"

He winked at her, but it wasnt a creepy wink. Usually, when a guy winked at her she wanted to punch them in the face, but this was flirty and...kind of adorable.

"Deal," he replied.

The boys sat down at a table by the counter and starting that loud, abrupt chatting that teenage boys do. There were no other customers, so Brie didnt really care biw much noise they made.

Every so often, Brie would catch the boy with curly hair looking at her as she prepared their order. She smiled to herself.

Then she thought about JJ, and their kiss that afternoon. Just friends. She couldnt belive how rude he had been to her. She was just trying to help, and he yelled at her!

Despite that, she couldn't get the kiss out of her head. He was so gentle with her, and he made her feel safe. That was something that she hadn't felt for a long time. And yet, whenever they argued, his words always made her want to cry. He made her feel weak and pathetic. She hated that.

Brie plated up the food and took it over to the table, placing it down. As soon as she dropped the baskets of fries down in the centre of the table, the boys were on them like hawks. She headed back to the cooler and brought them their drinks, tossing them a can each.

"Thanks," the dark haired boy smiled.

"Dont mention it," she replied, even shooting him a small wink. Was she being too bold? Who cares, she thought. She needed to be a little bold after JJ had made her feel like shit.