61» That End

Grace's POV
« NOW »

The metallic smell of blood mixed with the stale air surrounding me was the only thing I could think about, making the room look smaller and smaller, and letting the darkness engulf me more and more.

My entire body felt stiff by sitting in the same position for so long. I had lost count of seconds, them turning into minutes and hours. My head felt too exhausted to process any more thoughts and paranoid questions.

I felt numb.

Grace. Grace. Grace.

"Grace!" Somebody gripped both of my arms within the darkness and I jerked up in surprise. My eyes widened and I noticed the long, dark hair framing either side of her face.

I tried to pull away slowly, but she leaned down in front of me and gave me another small shake. Her hands were trembling. Or maybe I was. "Grace. Grace, are you fine?"

That's when I realized it was Alice, her dark wide eyes trained on my face. She looked worried and scared and pale. And, I registered a bit belatedly, there was a tiny red scrape along her forehead and it seemed to be bleeding. Her hands were so cold. "Uh, yeah..."

I saw her eyes leaving my face and before I could've asked her where she even came from, I noticed that the metal grill-door was thrown open. And then I heard the faint shouts.

"What's happening?" I whispered, straightening up in my position.

Alice didn't answer my question, though. "Is...Is that Lucius?"

I opened my mouth and followed her gaze to the person beside me, though I really didn't look at his face. I couldn't have when my stomach twisted almost way too painfully.

"Is he...what's..." Alice looked back at me and I watched her swallow, her eyes widening even more with panic. "What happened to him?"

I would've answered her only if I hadn't heard the sudden footsteps rushing towards us. My eyes widened in panic almost as same as Alice's.

Few men stopped outside the metal bars of the small cell we were in. I almost gripped Alice's hand in response when one of them stepped inside and came beside Alice. I recognized his face a bit quicker than Alice's.

"Fuck." Ryder breathed out, his eyes training at Luca before he leaned down on his knees. "What happened to him?" He repeated Alice's question, looking at me this time.

I scrunched back against the wall. "He's...fine. He just passed out." I spoke up, my voice sounding too scratchy and rushed. "They shot him or something, I don't know. But he's fine."

I saw Ryder moving closer towards him and I had this sudden urge to push him away from Luca.

"He's not breathing." Ryder frowned at me, as if I was stupid.

I bit the inside of my cheek and felt Alice grip my arm tightly, almost as if she knew I'd lash out at Ryder. Or maybe she was trying to find any semblance of comfort with touch alone. "He's not. But he's fine. He just...needs to get out of here."

He looked like he had a lot of things to say--none of them any good--and I instinctively gritted my teeth in response, telling myself not to snap at him. This really wasn't the time to start shouting at the only person who could get us out of here. Instead of saying anything more, he directed his cold blue gaze at Alice.