6. Popular

Layla

Reem and I are soul mates. I've come to that conclusion after working for weeks, under enormous pressure, in this little office, just the two of us. There's no other explanation as to why we haven't killed each other other than the fact, because it's definitely a fact, that we are soul mates.

The renovations in the big office are almost done and I hope we can move back next week. It will be a nice reward but I think I'll kind of miss having each other's desks so close together. She has now become the only friend I have outside of the family here in Dubai.

I did the first presentation of the project to the board members and it went quite well, even though there was only another woman besides me. I'm not sure the men actually get the point behind all of this but at least they're not against it, so I'll take that. After all, having only one woman on the board is the reason why we need projects like this one.

Now, is time to get ready for the launch, Reem is working on all the planning for the event that will be held at the World Trade Center. I hear her discussing catering options as I finish reviewing the guest list.

Taking my phone, I begin texting Maktoum.

Layla
Hey! Are you in your office?

Maktoum
Yes.

Layla
Great! Can I come up to discuss the guest list with you? It doesn't have to be right now.

Maktoum
Actually, right now is kind of perfect.

Layla
I'll be there in 5!

I sent the list to print and take only my phone with me before signaling Reem that I'll be upstairs. As the elevator door closes, I turn around to inspect myself in the mirror of the back wall. The black sheath dress falls below my knees and the sleeves cover three quarters of my arms. I fix my hair a little with my fingers and spin around on the high heeled sandals to step out of the elevator and onto the top floor of the headquarters.

I walk fastly towards my brother's office but through the glass wall I see he's busy with someone else.

"Good evening, miss Roberts." Says Mr. Hanafi, his secretary.

"Good evening." I reply.

"Sheikh Maktoum said you could come in."

"Really?"

I glance over at Maktoum and he's standing up, looking at me and signaling with his hand that I can step inside. I thank Mr. Hanafi and push the heavy glass door open.

"Hi!" I greet them.

"Come in, Layla." Maktoum replies.

The man sitting in front of Maktoum's desk stands up and I can only see his broad back wrapped in a white kandura and matching head scarf. He begins to turn around as I get closer and my eyes are immediately drawn to his strong jaw line and stubble beard.

"I want you to meet someone." Maktoum tells me.

I stand in front of this stranger with hazel eyes topped by thick eyebrows.

He extends his hand to me. "Hello, I'm Farouk." His voice deep and velvety.

"Nice to meet you, Farouk. I'm Layla." I reply the handshake with a smile.

His full, sexy lips curve up and I have to let go of his hand and look away before I start blushing.

"Farouk is a good friend of mine." Maktoum adds. "We've known each other since college."