6

Chapter Six - Sewn Shut

Elena Moretti's P.O.V.

Walking upstairs I make my way down to the last door in the hallway of the motel I'm staying at before unlocking the door. After catching up with Hailey on a two hour Skype call in the morning I had popped out to have a late breakfast. Now I'm going to be heading to the site where the recent murders have happened. But I've just stepped inside my room before I hear sharp raps against the door. Frowning I walk over and open it only to be greeted by the sight of a pissed off Roman Jackson.

"Hey..." I trail off as my cheerful greeting falls flat once he narrows his eyes murderously. "Oh, come on Romi! Don't be like that!"

"Let me in." He orders quietly as he puts his foot between the door and threshold to stop me from closing it on him.

"Promise you won't stay mad." I tilt my chin stubbornly.

I can almost hear him grinding his teeth together in agitation. "I promise."

"And that you won't kill me."

"Elena!" He all but snarls in disbelief but I stare back at him expectantly. "Fine! I promise!"

"Then welcome to my humble, temporary abode." I smile widely as I let him in.

He steps inside and I watch his eyes roam around the room. I take in his attire and he's wearing a casual green jumper, black jeans and combat boots. As always he looks handsome and way out of my league. But a girl can dream.

"You can't be involved in this." He finally speaks and raises his hand to shut me up when I open my mouth to protest. "You can't identify yourself as a journalist associated with a specific news organisation anymore and it makes everything about this unethical. Even if you were you'd still be restricted from an ongoing case. If anyone finds out that I let you carry out your own little investigation and get near crime scenes with the possibility of tampering with evidence then I'm fired."

"But I've been finding more leads on this case earlier than you have! Hell, I'm the one giving you the information!" I argue and he pinches the bridge of his nose in frustration.

"Elena, please...try to understand my position. I'm a member of the police force. I'm meant to protect people, not give them the green light to go running towards danger!" He huffs as he crosses his arms.

I realize I'm not going to win with him. I know I'm being irrational but I need this story to get that job in Canada. As morbid as it sounds the story needs to get juicier and so far it's not there yet which means I'm no closer to packing up and getting the hell out of here.

"Fine. I won't interfere with your investigation anymore."

"But you'll continue with your own." He counters and my jaw drops at how he knew what I was thinking. "Unbelievable! You're going to be the death of me!"

"Roman, nobody's going to find out –"

"It still goes against everything I stand for! How the hell am I supposed to concentrate on this damn serial killer if all I'll be doing is thinking about whether you're okay or becoming his next victim?!" He argues back and I sag against the wall.

It's quiet for a few minutes before he sighs loudly. I peek up at him to see his entire body relax before he walks over to me. My eyes meet his tired ones and I feel like the worst person ever for making his life ten times harder. Maybe I shouldn't have met him? I think to myself.