8

Chapter Eight - Tiramisu

I wake with a start and grunt as I look around through half closed eyes. Roman glances at me in amusement when I groan as a set of bright headlights hit my still adjusting eyes. I close my eyes again and sit up but curse when my neck and shoulder screams in protest.

"You'd always go back to that uncomfortable position no matter how many times I tried to keep you from it." He chuckles huskily as I massage the sore area.

"Shouldn't have fallen asleep." I mutter before a yawn escapes me. "What time is – Rome! It's three in the morning! You need rest!"

I blanch when I realize he's been driving for four hours. He makes a noise of acknowledgement as he glances at the time and the tracker he's been following. The red dot marked as Mac's car suddenly disappears and he glances at me with an amused smile.

"Did you just jinx everything?"

"Pfft no!" I huff with a small smile of my own before it grows worried. "Why did it disappear?"

"It started glitching about twenty minutes ago so there's a delay in tracking time." He explains before telling me to find the nearest motel. I give him directions before he eventually pulls up outside the familiar looking building from the pictures provided online. "We'll wait until morning to see where they are."

I nod before hopping out of the car and stretching. Shivering from the chilly breeze that envelopes my body I hurry after Roman into the building and up to reception. I lean against the counter, half listening to what him and the lady are discussing as I scroll through social media on my phone. I reply to my family in our group chat as well as other friends before tuning back into the conversation.

"I'm sorry, we only have one room left."

"With two beds?" Roman asks with a quick glance in my direction.

"Nope." She shakes her head while tapping her pen incessantly. "Only one. Take it or leave it."

"No –" He replies just as I say, "We'll take it."

I smile before glaring right back at Roman who doesn't look quite happy with the idea of us sharing a bed. "It's three in the morning and we're both exhausted. We're not looking anywhere else and if you have a problem with our arrangement you can sleep on the floor for all I care!"

The woman smirks as he rolls his eyes before handing his card over and pushing mine back towards me. I'm too tired to argue further with him at this point so I put my card back in my purse and grab the keys from the woman with a smile. Making my way upstairs with him following me I find room two-one-two before entering.

Thankfully everything looks clean and I freshen up in the bathroom before making my way out to Roman sitting on the bed and typing away on his phone. I quickly realize a problem. The clothes I'm wearing aren't comfortable enough to sleep in, especially my skinny jeans. With a frown I glance up to find Roman already staring and smile sheepishly.

"My jumper should be long enough to fit you." He mumbles sleepily before yawning.

"Thank you." I smile while mentally cooing at how adorable he looks. "I'm going to take a shower unless you want to head to bed early and want one first?"

"Too tired. I'll take one tomorrow morning." He shakes his head before taking off his jacket.

I nod before entering the bathroom and stripping. As I turn the shower on Roman knocks on the door and holds out his jumper for me to take. I grab it with a loud thanks before locking the door and stepping under the warm spray. The ache in my neck and shoulder starts to dissipate the more I stay under it. Shampooing my hair and cleaning my body with soap I eventually get out of the shower and dry myself off.