12

Chapter Twelve - Wild Desire

I look up from the couch when the front door opens at eight o'clock. Roman walks in and his emerald eyes lock with mine as he throws his keys and wallet on the table. I smile brightly when I spot the two pizza boxes he carries which causes him to chuckle. He walks over without a word and settles down on the couch beside me.

I swat his hand when he tries to take the remote. "Just binge watch Friends with me instead of putting on the news!"

"I want to see if there are any updates with the recent murder." He huffs before taking a slice of pizza from the box.

"Nothing yet. He should really start moving west if he doesn't want to be caught."

"We have agents there waiting for him if he does." He shrugs in reply.

"We don't know what he looks like though."

"Yes, but we can stop anyone suspicious trying to escape the state or country." He replies before sitting up slightly. "He's been using the pendants more."

"About that...I realized those mean nothing and he's probably trying to confuse us. Like throwing more work at us instead of focusing solely on him which might put us off track." I explain and he hums in agreement. "They found nothing on it, not even a fingerprint. A pendant is supposed to be around his neck and he didn't wear it that way."

"It's nothing more than a symbol of his first heartbreak then?"

"Exactly! You catch on quick Rome and we make a good team you know." I nudge his side with a grin which makes him chuckle. "So...when can I start helping you guys with the investigation again?"

His emerald eyes roam my figure lazily and ignite a delicious heat within me. "You're not healed yet."

"Roman!" I whine with a glare. "Come on! I'm so bored here! Can't I work from the office and help that way?"

"Nope. I think you need to rest a little bit more." He hands me another slice before standing. "Now, I'm off to take a shower and I don't want you convincing me on letting you join us again from outside the door like last time."

"I can sit on the toilet instead." I mutter under my breath before bursting into laughter when he whacks my head lightly with a cushion.

Sighing I straighten my legs back out on the couch again. I know he won't let me back out onto the field again until D.S. is either rotting in jail or six feet under. But I doubt that serial killer will walk inside an FBI monitored operation just to get to me.

I munch on the pizza and manage to finish the entire box as I watch two episodes. By that time, I hear the water turn off which indicates that he's done with his shower. Walking into the kitchen I throw away the box when my eyes land on the telephone. Remembering that someone called earlier looking for him I make my way to the bedroom to let him know before it slips my mind again.

"Rome, I forgot to tell you that someone called – what the fuck happened to you?!" I exclaim when I see his shoulder and side bandaged.

He freezes with his shirt in his hands before sighing, as if he didn't want me knowing. My gaze wanders across his torso to see parts of it littered with tattoos. I almost check to see if I'm drooling because he just became ten times hotter to me. Had I never caught him topless I would have never known that he's inked. He's always worn at least a t-shirt around me.

"It's nothing. D.S. and his men are just shooting at us now."

"Are you crazy?! You call that nothing?!" I snap before biting my lip with worry. "This is too dangerous."