17

Chapter Seventeen - Grateful

I don't stay mad at Roman for long. In fact, I forget all about it by the afternoon. Pacing the length of the room I worry my bottom lip as I think of what to do. Why on earth do I get myself into these situations? I wonder with a groan. Eventually I give up and open the door to head back to the kitchen again when I bump into Roman. Just the person I need!

"Whoa! What's wrong?"

I pull him inside. "I need to make a pumpkin pie!"

"I thought you said you can't cook or bake?" His brows furrow in confusion.

"Yes..." I become slightly distracted when he crosses his arms. "But I lied to your mom and said I'm an excellent baker."

His lips quirk in amusement before a husky chuckle escapes him. "Elena why would you do that?"

"Because Michelle, Ella and Zoe can cook like they'd win Master Chef in a heartbeat and I want to impress them!" I pout as he rests his hands on my hips.

"You watch Master Chef but you can't be bothered to learn how to cook?"

"Why learn when I have you?" I grin cheekily and he rolls his eyes in response. "Look I searched online and found a recipe so I made the crust a while ago. Now, all I need you to do is get your mom's pie recipe which I'll take a picture of and follow it!"

"I don't know Elena..." He stares at me cautiously. "I really don't want the house to burn down on Thanksgiving of all days. Why don't you just tell her the truth?"

"No!" I refuse adamantly before giving him the puppy dog eyes. "Please Rome?"

He stares at me for a long moment with narrowed eyes before giving in. "Alright –"

"Yes!"

"But I'm going to find some ways to help you and you can't argue with me about this!" He states and I nod eagerly before giving him a tight hug.

"You're the best, thank you! Now go find the recipe!" I push him towards the door and he leaves with an amused smile blooming across his lips.

He texts me when he's found it and I rush downstairs as discreetly as possible to take a picture. Grinning widely, I peck his lips before stepping into the kitchen but not before he pulls me back with a warning to be careful. I salute him cheekily which causes his lips to quirk before I enter the kitchen and get started.

Michelle, Ella and Zoe are busy with their tasks while I hide my phone from their view. We chat while I go through the steps of making the pie. Roman watches on from behind the door while biting his lip to stifle his laughter at the situation I've put myself in. I glare at him fiercely before showing him some measurements. He nods and I sigh in relief before adding them into the mixture.

But halfway through the filling I spot Michelle staring at me with a smile. I freeze with dread but instantly force myself to relax otherwise she'll know I'm up to no good. Shooting her a thumbs up I grin like a nervous idiot before focusing on finishing up.

Roman saunters in next when he sees me struggling with rolling out the crust. I bite my lip when his entire front presses up against my back. His arms are on either side of me as his minty breath tickles my ear. I pat his hand when he's finished and he shakes his head in amusement as he checks up on the other girls.

Following the recipe closely I get the rest done without anymore problems. A sense of achievement fills me as I pop it into the oven and I turn around to meet his emerald eyes as he walks out of the kitchen. I fist pump the air discreetly before blowing him kisses which makes him laugh at my excitement. For the next while I help the others with making everything and thankfully they don't assume I know what the steps are.