57. Acquiring Chess Pieces

Later that night, I drugged Lilly's dinner with some sleeping pills and waited for her to fall deep asleep in our dorm.

The pills were made using my creation magic, which was easily done after a bit of research and time.

I lit a small candle by my desk and opened up the diary that Ace had given me earlier today.

I scanned through the book, carefully lifting up each page with caution.

With each additional page that I had read, I grew more and more disgusted by the Marquis' behavior.

Without a doubt, he was corrupt and each page was riddled with immoral crimes and proof of his misdemeanor.

The fact that he was able to even write these things with such carefree handwriting into a diary just like this...was just...

...Actually...Why would he ever feel the need to record these things in the first place?

This diary was the perfect proof against his crimes, the greatest flaw of his plan, and if it were taken away by someone else, it could easily destroy his life.

...Did he write these things down...because he was enjoying the risk and the pleasure of having such a detrimental diary by his side...?

This was the only reason I could come up with behind his reasons for recording his life down in a book.

As I kept reading, I learned more about what the Marquis' intentions were.

Several times throughout the beginning of the diary, he had sought out my death and had sent numerous assassins after me at a young age.

Hmm...

For some reason, I actually can't recall ever meeting any of these assassins before.

Did...my servant, Grey, or my father...possibly kill them all before they could get to me...?

Pffffffft.

Hahahahaha!

No way...that would never happen.

I'm certain that in my family, I am the only one who has ever committed murder before!

There was no way that my father has ever killed assassins for me!

Well...Grey, on the other hand, may have killed someone before...but I doubt he would kill anyone just to protect me.

He's the type of person who would watch assassins torture his master secretly within the shadows.

Anyway, at the beginning of the diary, the Marquis seemed to have wanted my head more than anything else.

But...in the latter half of the diary...it was as if he didn't care about taking my life anymore.

In fact, it seemed as if though he were doing everything he could in order for me to not get involved.

...What was the Marquis thinking...?

I scanned through a few more pages to try to figure some things out, but nothing came to mind.

The only thing that was remotely important that I found while scrolling through the pages was about information regarding an "unknown man" who struck a deal with the Marquis and eventually became his boss of sorts.

Which means...the Marquis wasn't my 'final boss.'

I sighed and groaned a bit as I rubbed the sides of my head and closed the diary.

I had no more will to read such a disgusting book anyway.

Instead, I opened up the second thing that Ace had handed over to me, a paper folder.